Levin Railway Station
|Address||Oxford Street, Levin|
|Line(s)||North Island Main Trunk|
Levin Railway Station is a station on the North Island Main Trunk serving Levin in the Horowhenua District of New Zealand. It is served by the Capital Connection long distance commuter train between Wellington and Palmerston North. Prior to the services cessation in 2012 it was also served by the Overlander long distance train between Wellington and Auckland.
The station was opened by the Wellington and Manawatu Railway Company (WMR) in 1886 as an intermediate station on the Wellington-Manawatu Line. The first station was built in the northern part of Levin near Tyne Street, and was replaced in 1894-95 by a station near the centre of Levin. In 1909 this station was destroyed by fire, and replaced by a station 10 chains (200m) south. There was a nearby station in the southern part of Levin at Weraroa from c1886 to 1894.
Two former railway (staff) houses in Levin have Class II listing with the New Zealand Historic Places Trust, 29 Keepa Street and 31 Keepa Street.
- Cassells, K.R., Uncommon Carrier: The History of the Wellington and Manawatu Railway Company, 1882-1908 (Wellington, NZRLS, 1994, ISBN 0-908573-63-4 )
- Hoy, Douglas, West of the Tararuas: An Illustrated History of the Wellington and Manawatu Railway Company pp. 59, 60, 120 (Wellington, Southern Press, 1972)
- (1908)Cyclopaedia of New ZealandLevin in the