27 March 1889
8 May 1948
German Empire (to 1918)
Weimar Republic (to 1933)
|Years of service||1907–45|
|Rank||General der Artillerie|
291. Infanterie Division
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves|
Kurt Herzog (27 March 1889, Quedlinburg – 8 May 1948) was a German general who commanded the 291. Infanterie Division during World War II. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross and its higher grade Oak Leaves was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Kurt Herzog was captured by Soviet troops in May 1945 and died in captivity on 8 May 1948.
Awards and decorations
Iron Cross (1914)
- 2nd Class (26 October 1914)
- 1st Class (6 November 1916)
- Hanseatic Cross of Hamburg
- Knight's Cross of the Military Order of St. Henry (17 March 1916)
- Honour Cross of the World War 1914/1918 in 1934
Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (10 September 1939)
- 1st Class (29 September 1939)
- Eastern Front Medal
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- Ärmelband Kurland
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 186.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 79.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag.
- Thomas, Franz (1997). Die Eichenlaubträger 1939–1945 Band 1: A–K [The Oak Leaves Bearers 1939–1945 Volume 1: A–K] (in German). Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio-Verlag.
- Lexikon der Wehrmacht
- World War 2 Awards.com
- Kurt Herzog @ Axis Biographical Research at the Wayback Machine (archived January 25, 2011)
Commander of 291. Infanterie-Division
7 February 1940 - 10 June 1942
Generalleutnant Werner Goeritz
General der Infanterie Siegfried Haenicke
Commander of XXXVIII. Armeekorps
29 June 1942 - 8 January 1945
Renamed XXXVIII Panzerkorps