- History 1
- Development cooperation 2
- Trade 3
- Diplomatic missions 4
- References 5
- External links 6
Kenya recognised Ukraine as an independent country on March 5, 1993, diplomatic relations were established on the same day. After Ukrainian President, Petro Poroshenko was elected, Uhuru Kenyatta the Kenyan President congratulated him.
Trade, economic, military-technical and culture have been identified as key areas of cooperation.
In the midst of the Crimean crisis, Kenya's Foreign Secretary was quoted saying that Kenya respects the territorial sovereignty of others and that every country should do the same. She was meeting with the Ukrainian Ambassador to Kenya at the time. This might have been a hint that Kenya viewed the situation in Crimea as occupation by a foreign country. Kenya urged all parties involved to solve the crisis peacefully.
Since 2010 the Ukrainian government has offered 50 scholarships for Kenyans to study in Ukraine.
In 2013, Ukraine exported goods worth KES. 13 billion (US$143 million) to Kenya, Kenya exported goods worth KES. 925 million (US$10.1 million).
Ukraine is a major arms supplier to the Kenya Defence Forces. In 2008, Kenya bought 33 Soviet-era T-72 tanks from Ukraine, it was suggested that Kenya was buying them for the South Sudanese government. However, later on it was proved that Kenya had integrated all the tanks into the Kenyan Army.
Kenya has been urging Ukrainian investors to consider investing in infrastructure, tourism, ICT, mining and the emerging oil and gas sector.
Kenya's embassy in Russia is accredited to Ukraine. Additionally, Ukraine maintains an embassy in Nairobi. The Ukraine embassy was opened in 2004, and it is also accredited to Tanzania.
- . Bilateral political relations between Ukraine and Kenya. Retrieved on 21 January 2015.
- . Kenya urges Moscow to resolve Ukraine crisis. Retrieved on 21 January 2015.
- . Cooperation in cultural and humanitarian spheres between Ukraine and Kenya. Retrieved on 21 January 2015.
- . Trade and Economic relations between Ukraine and Kenya. Retrieved on 21 January 2015.
- . Kenya urges Ukraine, Russia to peacefully resolve border issues. Retrieved on 21 January 2015.
- . Kenya and Sudan | The mystery tanks. Retrieved on 21 January 2015.
- Embassy of Kenya, Russia
- Embassy of Ukraine in the Republic of Kenya