2 September 1891|
16 September 1970
German Empire (to 1918)
Weimar Republic (to 1933)
|Years of service||1909–1945|
|Rank||Fregattenkapitän of the Reserves|
Sperrbrecher IX and I
World War I
World War II
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves|
Karl Palmgreen (2 September 1891 – 16 September 1970) was a Fregattenkapitän of the Reserves with the Kriegsmarine during World War II and a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves (German: Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes mit Eichenlaub). The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross and its higher grade Oak Leaves was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership.
Karl Palmgreen joined the Kaiserliche Marine in 1909. From 1939 to 1941 he was commander of the Sperrbrecher (Mine Sweeper; Pathfinder) IX and I and thereafter until 1943 chief of the 4th Sperrbrecherflottille, followed by service positions as head of the 36th Minensuchflottille, German Chief of Staff to the Italian admiral in the Italian Navy Command, 1st class admiral staff officer at the 2nd Sicherungsdivision and head of the 38th Minensuchflottille. At the end of World War II, he was chief of the branch Gotenhafen or Libau. He was awarded the Knights Cross on 3 August 1941 for his achievements as chief of Sperrbrecherflottille, he was promoted to Fregattenkapitän of the Reserves on 1 August 1944 and received the Oak Leaves to his Knight's Cross on 11 July 1944.
His son Oberleutnant zur See of the Reserves Gerhard Palmgren was killed in action on 15 August 1944 as commander of U-741 in the English Channel by the British corvette HMS Orchis after U-741 had sunk the 246 ton infantry landing craft LCI 404.
- Iron Cross (1914)
- Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch-, U-Boots- Jagd- und Sicherungsverbände (1940)
- Clasp to the Iron Cross (1939)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- Dörr 1996, p. 109.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 332.
- Fellgiebel 2000, pp. 85, 479.
- Dörr, Manfred (1996). Die Ritterkreuzträger der Überwasserstreitkräfte der Kriegsmarine—Band 2: L–Z [The Knight's Cross Bearers of the Surface Forces of the Navy—Volume 2: L–Z] (in German). Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio Verlag.
- Range, Clemens (1974). Die Ritterkreuzträger der Kriegsmarine [The Knight's Cross Bearers of the Navy]. Stuttgart, Germany: Motorbuch Verlag.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag.
- Thomas, Franz (1998). Die Eichenlaubträger 1939–1945 Band 2: L–Z [The Oak Leaves Bearers 1939–1945 Volume 2: L–Z] (in German). Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio-Verlag.
- Lexikon der Wehrmacht
- Wehrmachts Lexikon