Karl Lorenz in 1944 as an Oberst (officer with binoculars and peaked cap)
24 January 1904|
3 October 1964
Weimar Republic (to 1933)
|Years of service||1924–45|
|Commands held||Panzer-Grenadier-Division Großdeutschland|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves|
Karl Lorenz (24 January 1904 – 3 October 1964) was a highly decorated Generalmajor in the Wehrmacht during World War II. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross and its higher grade Oak Leaves was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Karl Lorenz was captured by British troops in May 1945 and was held until 1946.
Awards and decorations
Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (23 September 1939)
- 1st Class (24 June 1940)
Wound Badge (1939)
- in Black
- in Silver
- Eastern Front Medal (25 August 1942)
- German Cross in Gold (2 January 1942)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- Thomas 1998, p. 38.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 242.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 67.
- Patzwall, Klaus D.; Scherzer, Veit (2001). Das Deutsche Kreuz 1941 – 1945 Geschichte und Inhaber Band II [The German Cross 1941 – 1945 History and Recipients Volume 2] (in German). Norderstedt, Germany: Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag.
- Thomas, Franz (1998). Die Eichenlaubträger 1939–1945 Band 2: L–Z [The Oak Leaves Bearers 1939–1945 Volume 2: L–Z] (in German). Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio-Verlag.
- World War 2 Awards.com
- Lexikon der Wehrmacht
Generalleutnant Hasso von Manteuffel
Commander of the Panzer-Grenadier-Division Großdeutschland
1 September 1944 - April 1945