20 January 1900|
2 March 1945
German Empire (to 1918)
Weimar Republic (to 1930)
|Years of service||
|Commands held||299. Infanterie-Division|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves|
Karl Göbel (20 January 1900 – 2 March 1945) was a Generalmajor in the Wehrmacht during World War II, and one of only 882 recipients of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross and its higher grade Oak Leaves was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Karl Göbel was wounded on 16 February 1945 in the Courland Pocket and died on 2 March 1945. He was posthumously promoted to Generalmajor.
Awards and decorations
- Honour Cross of the World War 1914/1918
- Iron Cross (1939)
Wound Badge (1939)
- in Black
- in Silver
- Eastern Front Medal
- Infantry Assault Badge
- Kuban Shield
Close Combat Clasp
- in Bronze
- Honour Roll Clasp of the Army (17 November 1944)
- German Cross in Gold (24 May 1942)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- Thomas 1997, p. 203.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 164.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 61.
- Patzwall, Klaus D.; Scherzer, Veit (2001). Das Deutsche Kreuz 1941 – 1945 Geschichte und Inhaber Band II [The German Cross 1941 – 1945 History and Recipients Volume 2] (in German). Norderstedt, Germany: Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag.
- Thomas, Franz (1997). Die Eichenlaubträger 1939–1945 Band 1: A–K [The Oak Leaves Bearers 1939–1945 Volume 1: A–K] (in German). Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio-Verlag.
- Karl Göbel @ Axis Biographical Research at the Wayback Machine (archived October 28, 2009)
- Lexikon der Wehrmacht
- Ritterkreuztraeger 1939-1945
- World War 2 Awards.com
Generalleutnant Hans Junck
Commander of 299. Infanterie-Division
1 September 1944 – 16 February 1945