23 July 1891|
Bad Goisern, Upper Austria, Austria-Hungary
21 January 1943
near Russian SFSR, Soviet Union
Austria-Hungary (to 1918)
First Austrian Republic (to 1938)
|Years of service||1914–43|
|Rank||General der Infanterie (posthumously promoted)|
|Commands held||385. Infanterie Division|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves and Swords|
Karl Franz Eibl (23 July 1891 – 21 January 1943) was a German general during World War II and recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves and Swords (German: Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes mit Eichenlaub und Schwertern). The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross and its higher grade Oak Leaves and Swords was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership.
Eibel was killed on 21 January 1943 at Nowy-Georgijewskija, northwest of Stalingrad, when some Italian soldiers mistook his command vehicle for a Russian armored car and blew it up with hand grenades.
- Awards 1
- Citations 2.1
- Bibliography 2.2
- External links 3
- Austro-Hungarian Empire and Austrian Republic
- Military Merit Cross, 3rd Class with War Decoration
- Military Merit Medals in Silver and Bronze
- Karl Troop Cross
- Wound Medal (Austria-Hungary)
- Order of the Iron Crown, 3rd Class with War Decoration and Swords
- German Third Reich
- Sudetenland Medal
- Eastern Front Medal
- Infantry Assault Badge
- Wound Badge in Black
Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (23 September 1939)
- 1st Class (5 November 1939)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves and Swords
- Mitcham 2007, p. 89.
- Thomas 1997, p. 148.
- Scherzer 2007, p. 290.
- Fellgiebel 2000, pp. 170, 489.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 56.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 40.
- Mitcham, Samuel W. (2007). Rommel's Desert Commanders — The Men Who Served the Desert Fox, North Africa, 1941–42. Mechanicsburg, PA: Stackpole Books. ISBN 0-8117-3510-9.
- Frey, Gerhard; Herrmann, Hajo: Helden der Wehrmacht III - Unsterbliche deutsche Soldaten (in German). München, Germany: FZ-Verlag GmbH, 2007. ISBN 978-3-924309-82-4.