17 September 1914
19 December 1997
|Years of service||
|Commands held||Panzer-Abteilung 5|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves|
|Other work||Military advisor in Taiwan|
Josef-Wilhelm Rettemeier (17 September 1914 – 19 December 1997) was a highly decorated Oberst in the Wehrmacht during World War II and an Oberst in the Bundeswehr. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross and its higher grade Oak Leaves was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership.
Rettemeier was commissioned as a Leutnant in 1936, and was assigned to the Panzertruppe. After the outbreak of WWII, he saw combats in France, North Africa and the Eastern Front, assuming command of company and battalion-sized formations. He was also in charge of an training unit for Panther tank drivers and officer candidates in the fall of 1944.
Rettemeier once worked in the steel industry before joining the Bundeswehr in 1956, leading panzer regiments and brigades, then served as X.O. in panzer and jäger divisions. After his retirement in 1972, Rettemeier came to Taiwan as the member of "Ming-teh-Gruppe", a German military advisory group. During his assignment in Taiwan, Rettemeier aided the creation and training for armored troops of the Republic of China Army. He died at Bad Nauheim in 1997.
Awards and decorations
Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class
- 1st Class
Wound Badge (1939)
- in Black
- in Silver
- in Gold
- Panzer Badge
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- Armband Afrika
- Wang 2007, p. 251.
- Wang 2007, pp. 251-52.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 289.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 68.
- Schaulen, Fritjof (2005). Eichenlaubträger 1940 – 1945 Zeitgeschichte in Farbe III Radusch – Zwernemann [Oak Leaves Bearers 1940 – 1945 Contemporary History in Color III Radusch – Zwernemann] (in German). Selent, Germany: Pour le Mérite.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag.
- Thomas, Franz (1998). Die Eichenlaubträger 1939–1945 Band 2: L–Z [The Oak Leaves Bearers 1939–1945 Volume 2: L–Z] (in German). Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio-Verlag.
- Wang, Yue-che (2007). German Military Advisors in Taiwan 1963-1975 (明德專案 : 德國軍事顧問在台工作史實) (in Chinese). Taipei, Taiwan: Transoxania Publishing Corp.
- Media related to at Wikimedia Commons
- Lexikon der Wehrmacht
- Ritterkreuztraeger 1939-1945
- Josef Rettemeier