|Josef "Sepp" Prentl|
14 October 1916
16 July 1996
Nazi Germany (to 1945)
|Years of service||
|Commands held||Flak-Regiment 116|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves|
Josef "Sepp" Quirin Prentl (14 October 1916 – 16 July 1996) was a highly decorated Major in the Luftwaffe during World War II, and one of only 882 recipients of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross and its higher grade Oak Leaves was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Josef Prentl joined the post-war Bundeswehr in 1956, retiring in 1974 as an Oberst. From 1974 to 1978 he served in the Bavarian parliament as a member of the Christian Social Union of Bavaria party.
Awards and decorations
- Iron Cross (1939)
- German Cross in Gold (20 August 1944)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- Thomas 1998, p. 169.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 280.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 85.
- Fellgiebel 2000, pp. 102–111.
- Patzwall, Klaus D.; Scherzer, Veit (2001). Das Deutsche Kreuz 1941 – 1945 Geschichte und Inhaber Band II [The German Cross 1941 – 1945 History and Recipients Volume 2] (in German). Norderstedt, Germany: Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag.
- Thomas, Franz (1998). Die Eichenlaubträger 1939–1945 Band 2: L–Z [The Oak Leaves Bearers 1939–1945 Volume 2: L–Z] (in German). Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio-Verlag.
- Lexikon der Wehrmacht
- World War 2 Awards.com