The bridge of Joinville-le-Pont
Paris and inner ring departments
|• Mayor (2008–2014)||Olivier Dosne|
|Area1||2.3 km2 (0.9 sq mi)|
|• Density||7,600/km2 (20,000/sq mi)|
|INSEE/Postal code||94042 / 94340|
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.
The commune was created in 1791 under the name La Branche-du-Pont-de-Saint-Maur (literally "The Branch of Saint-Maur's Bridge") by detaching its territory from the commune of Saint-Maur-des-Fossés. The commune was renamed Joinville-le-Pont (literally "Joinville the Bridge") on 29 August 1831. Under Louis-Philippe of France, the Redoute de Gravelle was built in the commune.
In 1929, the commune of Joinville-le-Pont lost more than a third of its territory when the city of Paris annexed the Bois de Vincennes, a part of which belonged to Joinville-le-Pont.