He graduated from Indiana University, with bachelor's, master's and doctoral degrees.
- 1995 Bancroft Prize
- Lillian Smith Book Award
- Local people: the struggle for civil rights in Mississippi. University of Illinois Press. 1995.
- John Dittmer, George C. Wright, W. Marvin Dulaney, Kathleen Underwood (1993). W. Marvin Dulaney, Kathleen Underwood, ed. Essays on the American civil rights movement. Texas A&M University Press.
- Black Georgia in the Progressive Era, 1900-1920. University of Illinois Press. 1980.
- Christopher C. Meyers, ed. (2008). "Black Georgia in the Progressive Era". The Empire State of the South: Georgia History in Documents and Essays. Mercer University Press.
- The Good Doctors: The Medical Committee for Human Rights and the Struggle for Social Justice in Health Care. Bloomsbury Publishing PLC. 2009.
- YouTube"The Good Doctors - by John Dittmer",
- , Robert J. Norrell, Autumn 1996Virginia Quarterly Review"Grass Roots Civil Rights",