3 December 1896
15 May 1945
German Empire (to 1918)
Weimar Republic (to 1933)
|Years of service||1914–45|
|Commands held||211. Infanterie-Division|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves|
Johann-Heinrich Eckhardt (3 December 1896 – 15 May 1945) was a highly decorated Generalleutnant in the Wehrmacht during World War II. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross and its higher grade Oak Leaves was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Johann-Heinrich Eckhardt was captured by American troops on 8 May 1945 and died in custody on 15 May 1945.
Awards and decorations
Iron Cross (1914)
- 2nd Class (20 October 1915)
- 1st Class (2 March 1917)
Wound Badge (1914)
- in Black
- in Silver
- Hanseatic Cross of Hamburg (1 December 1917)
- Knight's Cross of the Royal House Order of Hohenzollern with Swords (22 May 1918)
- Honour Cross of the World War 1914/1918 (18 December 1934)
- Sudetenland Medal with Prague Castle Bar
Clasp to the Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (17 October 1939)
- 1st Class (29 May 1940)
- Eastern Front Medal (15 August 1942)
- German Cross in Gold (25 January 1942)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- Mentioned in the Wehrmachtbericht (3 September 1944)
- Thomas 1997, p. 140.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 142.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 77.
- Patzwall, Klaus D.; Scherzer, Veit (2001). Das Deutsche Kreuz 1941 – 1945 Geschichte und Inhaber Band II [The German Cross 1941 – 1945 History and Recipients Volume 2] (in German). Norderstedt, Germany: Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag.
- Thomas, Franz (1997). Die Eichenlaubträger 1939–1945 Band 1: A–K [The Oak Leaves Bearers 1939–1945 Volume 1: A–K] (in German). Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio-Verlag.
- Lexikon der Wehrmacht
- World War 2 Awards.com
Generalleutnant Richard Müller
Commander of 211. Infanterie-Division
17 July 1943 - 8 May 1945