Jack Burns (golfer)
|— Golfer —|
|Full name||John Burns|
7 January 1859|
St Andrews, Scotland
18 December 1927
St Andrews, Scotland
Best results in major championships
|The Open Championship||Won: 1888|
John "Jack" Burns (7 January 1859 – 18 December 1927), a native of St Andrews, was a Scottish professional golfer for part of his life. He was the son of an Irish labourer, and started earning his living as a plasterer. However, there is reference to him being a professional golfer in the minutes of the St Andrews Golf Club in October 1885.
Burns moved to Warwick, England in 1887 to become the golf professional and greenskeeper at the newly formed Warwickshire Golf Club (now known as Warwick Golf Centre), the first golf club in Warwickshire. Burns returned to Scotland in October 1888 to become the winner of the Open Championship, which was held at the Old Course at St Andrews. The £8 prize of his major championship title accomplishment did not make him a fortune. He returned to his job in Warwick and was involved in the creation of the neighbouring golf course in Kenilworth in 1890.
He moved back to St Andrews in 1891 to work on the railways, but he carried on caddying. When he died in 1927, his profession was listed as a plasterer again.
Major championships 1
- Wins (1) 1.1
- Results timeline 1.2
- References 2
- External links 3
|1888||The Open Championship||86-85=171||1 stroke||David Anderson, Jr., Ben Sayers|
|The Open Championship||T23||DNP||DNP||7||DNP||DNP||1||14|
|The Open Championship||DNP||WD||DNP||DNP||45||DNP||DNP||DNP||DNP||DNP|
|The Open Championship||DNP||DNP||DNP||DNP||DNP||CUT|
- Note: Burns only played in The Open Championship.
DNP = Did not play
CUT = missed the half-way cut
"T" indicates a tie for a place
Green background for wins. Yellow background for top-10
- "Births in the United District of St Andrews and St Leonards in the County of Fife". Statutory Births 453/00 0003.
- "Deaths in the Parish of St Andrews and St Leonards in the County of Fife". Statutory Deaths 453/00 0012.
- "The 150 Years – A History of the St. Andrews Golf Club – 1843 to 1993: Chapter 3 - Just a Minute". The St. Andrews Golf Club. Retrieved 27 September 2013.
- "St Andrews — 1888". opengolf.com. Retrieved 17 July 2010.
- "Club History". Kenilworth Golf Club. Retrieved 27 September 2013.
- Details of the 1888 Open from the official site