7 July 1912|
10 March 1966
Söcking, now part of Starnberg
Weimar Republic (to 1933)
|Years of service||1930–45|
|Commands held||I./StG 2|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves|
Hubertus Hitschhold (7 July 1912 – 10 March 1966) was a German World War II Luftwaffe Stuka ace.[Note 1] He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves (German: Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes mit Eichenlaub). The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross and its higher grade Oak Leaves was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership.
Hubertus Hitschhold joined the military service in the Reichswehr on 1 April 1930 after receiving his Abitur. He was immediately selected for flight training. Beginning in April 1930 until March 1931 he was trained at the Deutsche Verkehrsfliegerschule at Schleißheim and received his pilot license. He continued his flight training at Lipetsk in Russia, where he was trained as a fighter pilot.
On 1 October 1931 he was transferred to the 2. (Pr.) Reiterregiment. Promoted to Leutnant on 1 August 1933 he transferred to the newly formed Luftwaffe in 1935. In 1936 he became one of the first Stuka pilots and a Staffelkapitän in 1937.
- Iron Cross (1939)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- For a list of Luftwaffe ground attack aces see List of German World War II ground attack aces
- Brütting 1992, p. 132.
- MacLean 2007, p. 230.
- Thomas 1997, p. 284.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 228.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 57.
- Brütting, Georg (1995). Das waren die deutschen Stuka-Asse 1939 – 1945 [These were the German Stuka Aces 1939 – 1945] (in German). Stuttgart, Germany: Motorbuch.
- MacLean, French L (2007). Luftwaffe Efficiency & Promotion Reports: For the Knight's Cross Winners. Atglen, Pennsylvania: Schiffer Military History.
- Obermaier, Ernst (1976). Die Ritterkreuzträger der Luftwaffe 1939–1945 Band II Stuka- und Schlachtflieger [The Knight's Cross Bearers of the Luftwaffe 1941 – 1945 Volume II Dive Bomber and Attack Aircraft] (in German). Mainz, Germany: Verlag Dieter Hoffmann.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag.
- Thomas, Franz (1997). Die Eichenlaubträger 1939–1945 Band 1: A–K [The Oak Leaves Bearers 1939–1945 Volume 1: A–K] (in German). Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio-Verlag.
- Frey, Gerhard; Herrmann, Hajo: Helden der Wehrmacht - Unsterbliche deutsche Soldaten (in German). München, Germany: FZ-Verlag GmbH, 2004. ISBN 3-924309-53-1.
Oberleutnant Otto Weiß
Commander of Schlachtgeschwader 1
18 June 1942 – June 1943
Oberleutnant Alfred Druschel
Oberstleutnant Dr. Ernst Kupfer
General der Schlachtflieger
12 November 1943 – 8 May 1945