July 8, 1874|
Le Burgaud, Haute-Garonne
|Died||September 20, 1958(aged 84)|
|Occupation||Political theorist, Politician|
Hubert Lagardelle (born in Le Burgaud July 8, 1874, died in Paris September 20, 1958) was a pioneer of French revolutionary syndicalism. He regularly authored reviews for the Plans magazine, was co-founder of the journal Prélude, and Minister of Labour of the Vichy regime.
- Revolutionary Syndicalism 1
- Fascism and National Syndicalism 2
- Works 3
- Sources 4
Finishing his studies in CGT meetings and was a contributor to the development of the revolutionary syndicalist movement in the years 1904-1908.
Fascism and National Syndicalism
In 1910, disappointed with the evolution of the CGT, he retired to
Fascinated by Italian fascism, Hubert Lagardelle assisted the Ambassador of France to Rome, Henry de Jouvenel, from 1932 to 1937 in an attempt to establish a Franco-Italian alliance to prevent further German expansionism.
After the defeat of 1940, Lagardelle participated in the Institute of Corporate and Social Studies and French Centre synthesis. Hubert Lagardelle became Minister of Labour for the Vichy government of Pierre Laval (April 1942-November 1943). In 1943, he was forced to resign from the government and became editor of the Socialist France newspaper. In 1946, he was sentenced to life imprisonment but released because of his age in 1949.
He died on September 20, 1958.
- The Agrarian Question and Socialism (1899)
- The Evolution of Labour Unions in France (1900)
- Intellectuals to Socialism (1901)
- The Confederation of Labour and Socialism (1907)
- Unionism and Socialism (1908)
- The Socialist Party and the General Confederation of Labour, Paris, River, 1908.
- Bakunin and Marx, 1909, published in the International.
- Text and Comment letters of Georges Sorel Hubert Lagardelle, 1933, Rome.
- The Italian Fascist Regime, 1935 in the French Encyclopedia.
- Twenty years of history of Italy, 1937.
- The French Socialism.
- Rome Mission Mussolini, 1955.
- Christine Bouneau, Hubert Lagardelle: un bourgeois révolutionnaire et son époque, 1996
- Zeev Sternhell, La droite révolutionnaire, 1885-1914, Seuil, 1978.
- Bernard-Henri Lévy, L'Idéologie française, Grasset, 1981.
- Simon Epstein, Les Dreyfusards sous l'Occupation, éd. Albin Michel, 2001.
- Lettres d'Hubert Lagardelle à Robert Michels (1903-1936), with introduction by Willy Gianinazzi