Hospital for Tropical Diseases
|Hospital for Tropical Diseases|
|University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust|
Blue plaque on the wall of UCL's union building: SEAMEN'S HOSPITAL SOCIETY. This building housed the LONDON SCHOOL OF TROPICAL MEDICINE and the HOSPITAL FOR TROPICAL DISEASES 1920-1939. GREENWICH
|Location||London, United Kingdom|
|Affiliated university||University College London www.lshtm.ac.uk London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine|
|Website||University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, The Hospital for Tropical Diseases|
The Hospital for Tropical Diseases (HTD) is a specialist tropical disease hospital located in London, United Kingdom. It is part of the University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust and is closely associated with University College London and the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine. It is the only NHS hospital dedicated to the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of tropical diseases and travel-related infections. In addition to specialists in major tropical diseases such as Malaria, Leprosy and tuberculosis. It also provides an infectious disease treatment service for UCLH.
It was founded on 8 March 1821 on board an ex-naval ship and moved onto dry land as the Dreadnought Seamen's Hospital in 1870 as part of the Royal Greenwich Hospital. The management of infectious disease moved in 1919 near to Euston Square, in central London, still under the Seamen's Hospital Society. The general in-patient wards at Greenwich continued until that hospital's closure in 1986 with special services for seamen and their families then provided by the 'Dreadnought Unit' at St Thomas's Hospital in Lambeth.
It has since its foundation been associated with many of the leading figures in tropical medicine, including Sir Patrick Manson FRS Patrick Manson, the 'father of tropical medicine', and Sir Ronald Ross FRS the winner of the second Nobel Prize for Medicine for his work on malaria Ronald ross.
After several moves during the Second World War, The Hospital for Tropical Diseases was reestablished under the newly formed NHS in 1951 at the site of the St Pancras Hospital. Finally it moved in 1998 in to new purpose built premises within UCLH. It remains one of the world's leading centers for the treatment of imported and tropical diseases, and for the training of international students in tropical medicine.
- The Hospital for Tropical Diseases
- The Dreadnought Seamen's hospital history by PortCities