29 December 1910
15 April 1981
Weimar Republic (to 1933)
|Years of service||1928–45|
|Commands held||Grenadier-Regiment 172|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves|
Hermann Siggel (29 December 1910 – 15 April 1981) was a highly decorated Oberst in the Wehrmacht during World War II. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross and its higher grade Oak Leaves was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Hermann Siggel was captured by American troops in the Ruhr Pocket in April 1945 and was held until September 1945.
Awards and decorations
- Iron Cross (1939)
Wound Badge (1939)
- in Black
- Eastern Front Medal
- Infantry Assault Badge
- German Cross in Gold (26 September 1942)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- Thomas 1998, p. 324.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 325.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 73.
- Patzwall, Klaus D.; Scherzer, Veit (2001). Das Deutsche Kreuz 1941 – 1945 Geschichte und Inhaber Band II [The German Cross 1941 – 1945 History and Recipients Volume 2] (in German). Norderstedt, Germany: Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag.
- Thomas, Franz (1998). Die Eichenlaubträger 1939–1945 Band 2: L–Z [The Oak Leaves Bearers 1939–1945 Volume 2: L–Z] (in German). Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio-Verlag.
- Lexikon der Wehrmacht
- World War 2 Awards.com