24 September 1916
4 January 1980
|Years of service||1936–1945|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves|
Herbert Rollwage (24 September 1916 – 4 January 1980) was a German Luftwaffe ace and recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves during World War II. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross and its higher grade Oak Leaves was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Herbert Rollwage is credited with at least 71 victories in 664 combat missions.[Note 1]
- Awards 1
- Notes 2
- References 3
- External links 4
- Ehrenpokal der Luftwaffe (10 August 1942)
- Front Flying Clasp of the Luftwaffe
Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (5 July 1941)
- 1st Class (16 September 1941)
Wound Badge (1939)
- in Black
- in Silver
- German Cross in Gold on 12 December 1942 as Oberfeldwebel in the 5./Jagdgeschwader 53
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- The exact number of aerial victories remains unknown. He is officially credited with 71 victories, of which 11 were claimed on the Eastern Front. Fourteen heavy four-engine bomber victories are verifiable by date. Other references such as Toliver and Constable list him with 102 aerial victories including 44 heavy bombers.
- According to Scherzer on 5 April 1944 as pilot in the 5./Jagdgeschwader 53.
- Obermaier 1989, p. 72.
- Toliver and Constable 1998, p. 405.
- Thomas 1998, p. 224.
- Patzwall and Scherzer 2001, p. 384.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 295.
- Scherzer 2007, p. 637.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 79.
- Obermaier, Ernst (1989). Die Ritterkreuzträger der Luftwaffe Jagdflieger 1939 – 1945 [The Knight's Cross Bearers of the Luftwaffe Fighter Force 1941 – 1945] (in German). Mainz, Germany: Verlag Dieter Hoffmann.
- Patzwall, Klaus D.; Scherzer, Veit (2001). Das Deutsche Kreuz 1941 – 1945 Geschichte und Inhaber Band II [The German Cross 1941 – 1945 History and Recipients Volume 2] (in German). Norderstedt, Germany: Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag.
- Spick, Mike (1996). Luftwaffe Fighter Aces. New York:
- Thomas, Franz (1998). Die Eichenlaubträger 1939–1945 Band 2: L–Z [The Oak Leaves Bearers 1939–1945 Volume 2: L–Z] (in German). Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio-Verlag.
- Toliver, Raymond F. and Trevor J. Constable (1998). Die deutschen Jagdflieger-Asse 1939 - 1945 (in German). Stuttgart, Germany: Motorbuch Verlag. ISBN 3-87943-193-0.
- World War 2 Awards.com
- Lexikon der Wehrmacht
- Aces of the Luftwaffe