27 February 1908|
27 March 1945
Weimar Republic (to 1933)
|Years of service||1925–45|
|Commands held||562. Volks-Grenadier Division|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves|
Helmuth Hufenbach (27 February 1908 – 27 March 1945) was a highly decorated Generalmajor in the Wehrmacht during World War II, and one of only 882 recipients of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross and its higher grade Oak Leaves was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Helmuth Hufenbach was killed on 27 March 1945 in the Heiligenbeil Pocket. He was posthumously promoted to Generalmajor and awarded the Oak Leaves to his Knight's Cross.
Awards and decorations
Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (21 September 1939)
- 1st Class (24 October 1939)
- in Black or in Silver
- Eastern Front Medal
- Infantry Assault Badge
- Kuban Shield
- German Cross in Gold (27 November 1941)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- Mentioned in the Wehrmachtbericht (10 October 1943)
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 196.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 83.
- Patzwall, Klaus D.; Scherzer, Veit (2001). Das Deutsche Kreuz 1941 – 1945 Geschichte und Inhaber Band II [The German Cross 1941 – 1945 History and Recipients Volume 2] (in German). Norderstedt, Germany: Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag.
- Thomas, Franz (1997). Die Eichenlaubträger 1939–1945 Band 1: A–K [The Oak Leaves Bearers 1939–1945 Volume 1: A–K] (in German). Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio-Verlag.
- Lexikon der Wehrmacht
- World War 2 Awards.com
- Ritterkreuztraeger 1939-1945
Generalmajor Johannes-Oskar Brauer
Commander of 562. Volks-Grenadier Division
22 January 1945 – 27 March 1945