|Dr. med. Helmut Renschler|
18 April 1920
5 November 1999
|Years of service||1939–45|
|Rank||Hauptmann der Reserve|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves|
Dr. med. Helmut Renschler[Note 1] (18 April 1920 – 5 November 1999) was a highly decorated Hauptmann der Reserve in the Wehrmacht during World War II. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross and its higher grade Oak Leaves was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Helmut Renschler was captured by American forces in May 1945.
Awards and decorations
Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (27 June 1941)
- 1st Class (15 October 1941)
Wound Badge (1939)
- in Black
- in Silver
- Infantry Assault Badge
- Eastern Front Medal (19 August 1942)
- German Cross in Gold (24 November 1942)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- In German a Doctor of Medicine is abbreviated as Dr. med. (Doctor medicinae).
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 289.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 82.
- Patzwall, Klaus D.; Scherzer, Veit (2001). Das Deutsche Kreuz 1941 – 1945 Geschichte und Inhaber Band II [The German Cross 1941 – 1945 History and Recipients Volume 2] (in German). Norderstedt, Germany: Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag.
- Thomas, Franz (1998). Die Eichenlaubträger 1939–1945 Band 2: L–Z [The Oak Leaves Bearers 1939–1945 Volume 2: L–Z] (in German). Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio-Verlag.
- World War 2 Awards.com
- Lexikon der Wehrmacht