2 November 1916
26 June 1944
|Years of service||1936–1945|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves|
Helmut Leicht (2 November 1916 – 26 June 1944) was a highly decorated Major in the Luftwaffe during World War II, and one of only 882 recipients of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross and its higher grade Oak Leaves was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Helmut Leicht was listed as missing in action as of 26 June 1944 after a flight near Vitebsk, Belarus. He was posthumously awarded the Oak Leaves to his Knight's Cross on 24 October 1944. During his career he flew 900 flights.[Notes 1]
Awards and decorations
- Aviator badge
- Front Flying Clasp of the Luftwaffe in Gold with Pennant "900"
- Iron Cross (1939)
Wound Badge (1939)
- in Black
- in Silver
- German Cross in Gold on 10 July 1942 as Oberleutnant in the 2./Sturzkampfgeschwader 77
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- For a list of Luftwaffe ground attack aces see List of German World War II Ground Attack aces
- Thomas 1998, p. 19.
- Patzwall and Scherzer 2001, p. 274.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 235.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 76.
- Brütting, Georg (1995). Das waren die deutschen Stuka-Asse 1939 – 1945 [These were the German Stuka Aces 1939 - 1945] (in German). Stuttgart, Germany: Motorbuch.
- Obermaier, Ernst (1976). Die Ritterkreuzträger der Luftwaffe 1939–1945 Band II Stuka- und Schlachtflieger [The Knight's Cross Bearers of the Luftwaffe 1941 – 1945 Volume II Dive Bomber and Attack Aircraft] (in German). Mainz, Germany: Verlag Dieter Hoffmann.
- Patzwall, Klaus D.; Scherzer, Veit (2001). Das Deutsche Kreuz 1941 – 1945 Geschichte und Inhaber Band II [The German Cross 1941 – 1945 History and Recipients Volume 2] (in German). Norderstedt, Germany: Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag.
- Thomas, Franz (1998). Die Eichenlaubträger 1939–1945 Band 2: L–Z [The Oak Leaves Bearers 1939–1945 Volume 2: L–Z] (in German). Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio-Verlag.
- World War 2 Awards.com
- Lexikon der Wehrmacht
Major Kurt Huhn
Commander of Sturzkampfgeschwader 77
1 April 1943 – 18 October 1943