Klum at the America's Got Talent special Judges Red Carpet event at Dolby Theatre on April 22, 2014
June 1, 1973 |
Bergisch Gladbach, North Rhine-Westphalia, West Germany
|Occupation||Actress, television host, fashion designer, model|
(m. 1997; div. 2002)
(m. 2005; div. 2012)
|Height||1.765 m (5 ft 9.5 in)|
|Hair color||Blonde (colored; naturally Brown)|
|Dress size||4 US/6 UK/34 EU|
|Shoe size||9 US/6½ UK/40 EU|
Heidi Klum (pronounced ; born June 1, 1973) is a German model, television host, businesswoman, fashion designer, television producer, and occasional actress. In 2008, she became an American citizen while maintaining her native German citizenship.
Klum became internationally known for her appearances on the cover of the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue. In 1997, she became the first German model to become a Victoria's Secret Angel. Following a successful modeling career, Klum became the host and a judge of the reality show Project Runway which earned her an Emmy nomination in 2008 and a win in 2013 for Outstanding Host for a Reality or Reality-Competition Program (shared with co-host Tim Gunn). She has worked as a spokesmodel for Dannon and H&M, and has appeared in numerous commercials for McDonald's, Volkswagen and others. In 2009, Klum became Barbie's official ambassador on Barbie's 50th anniversary. As an occasional actress, she had supporting roles in movies including Blow Dry (2001), Ella Enchanted (2004), and made cameo appearances on The Devil Wears Prada (2006) and Perfect Stranger (2007). She has also appeared on TV shows including Sex and the City, How I Met Your Mother, and Parks and Recreation. Currently, Klum is a judge on the NBC reality show America's Got Talent.
In May 2011, Forbes magazine estimated Klum's total earnings for that year as $20 million. She is ranked second on Forbes' list of the "World's Top-Earning Models", behind Gisele Bündchen. Forbes noted that since ending her 13-year run as a Victoria's Secret Angel, Klum has become more of a businesswoman than a model. She was married to English R&B singer Seal from 2005 until 2012.
Early life and discovery
Klum was born and raised in Bergisch Gladbach, a town outside Cologne. She is the daughter of Erna and Günther Klum. A friend convinced her to enroll in a national modeling contest called "Model 92". Out of 25,000 contestants, Klum was voted the winner on April 29, 1992 and offered a modeling contract worth US$300,000 by Thomas Zeumer, CEO of Metropolitan Models New York. After winning, she appeared on the Gottschalk Late Night Show, a top German television show with host Thomas Gottschalk. She accepted the contract a few months later after graduating from school and decided not to try for an apprentice position at a fashion design school.
Modeling and acting
Klum has been featured on the covers of Vogue, Elle, and Marie Claire, and became widely known after appearing on the cover of the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue and for her work with Victoria's Secret as an "Angel". Klum has hosted the 2002, 2006, 2007, and 2009 Victoria's Secret Fashion Shows. On October 1, 2010, the New York Post reported in its "Page Six" gossip column that Klum would be leaving Victoria's Secret, which was later confirmed by Klum.
In addition to working with well-known photographers on her first husband's Sports Illustrated shoots, she was the object and subject of Joanne Gair body painting works in several editions from 1997 to 2010. She wrote the foreword to Gair's book of body paint work, Body Painting, Masterpieces. She was a spokesmodel for McDonald's, Braun, Dannon, H & M, and Liz Claiborne, among others. Since 2007, she has been a celebrity spokesmodel for Jordache and Volkswagen. In addition to modeling, she has appeared in several TV shows, including Spin City, Sex and the City, Yes, Dear, and How I Met Your Mother. She had a role as an ill-tempered hair model in the movie Blow Dry, played a giantess in the movie Ella Enchanted and was cast as Ursula Andress in The Life and Death of Peter Sellers. She had cameo appearances in The Devil Wears Prada and Perfect Stranger. Her other projects include dance and video games. She is featured in the 2006 James Bond video game Everything or Nothing, where she plays the villain Dr. Katya Nadanova. She has appeared in several music videos, including Jamiroquai's video "Love Foolosophy" from their album A Funk Odyssey, Kelis's "Young, Fresh n' New", off her second 2001 album Wanderland and, most recently, the second video for her husband Seal's song "Secret" off his 2010 album Seal 6: Commitment. The latter video depicts the married couple sharing intimate moments while naked in bed; the concept was Klum's idea. In July 2007, having earned $8 million in the previous 16 months, Klum was named by Forbes as third on the list of the World's 15 Top-Earning Supermodels.
In 2008, Forbes estimated her income at $16 million, putting Klum in first place. For 2007, Forbes estimated her income at $14 million. Klum is signed to IMG Models in New York City. In 2008, Klum was a featured guest on an American Volkswagen commercial, where she was interviewed by a black Beetle. When she commented that German engineering is so sexy, she caused the Beetle to blush and turn red. She has been a part of several commercials for Volkswagen and McDonald's on German television. In November 2008, Klum appeared in two versions of a Guitar Hero World Tour commercial, wherein she did a take on Tom Cruise's iconic underwear dancing scene in Risky Business. In both versions, she lip-synced to Bob Seger's "Old Time Rock and Roll" while dancing around the living room with the wireless guitar controller.
In October 2009, Klum was the often-nude one-woman subject of Heidilicious, a photo book by photographer Rankin. Klum ventured into web-based videos, starring in "SPIKED HEEL: Supermodels Battle the Forces of Evil". The web-series starred model Coco Rocha and was directed by fashion documentarian Doug Keeve. In the story, Klum aka 'The Kluminator,' and her stylish sidekick Coco "The Sassy Superhero" Rocha battle the evil Dr. Faux Pas who is plotting to destroy Fashion Week. The heroines employ everything from blow-dryer guns to fist fights, in order to thwart Dr. Faux Pas' dastardly plans. The Kluminator and Girl Wonder avoid a chain of fashion disasters to neutralize a death ray that threatens to vaporize the community of fashionistas gathered in Bryant Park. In 2010, Klum became the new face and creative advisor for European cosmetics brand Astor, for which she sets artistic direction and designs new products and fashion forward color collections. In October 2010, Klum parted ways with Victoria's Secret after 13 years of working with the brand. She provided a simple explanation in her official statement, stating: "All good things have to come to an end. I will always love Victoria and never tell her secret. It's been an absolute amazing time!"
It was reported in May 2011 that Klum trails far behind Gisele Bündchen at No. 2 with estimated earnings of $20 million on Forbes' list of the World's Top-Earning Models (2010-2011). Forbes noted that since ending her 13-year run as a Victoria's Secret Angel, Klum has become more of a businesswoman than a model. She partnered with New Balance and Amazon.com to launch a clothing line and signed a 20-episode deal to host a new show on Lifetime, called Seriously Funny Kids. In fact, some noted fashion designers have long been commenting on Klum's limited role as a fashion model. Karl Lagerfeld, for example, in 2009 agreed with German designer Wolfgang Joop, who called Klum after she had posed naked on the cover of the German edition of GQ magazine, "no runway model. She is simply too heavy and has too big a bust". Lagerfeld observed that neither he nor Claudia Schiffer knew Klum, as she has never worked in Paris and was insignificant in the world of fashion, being "more bling bling and glamorous than current fashion."
In December 2004, Klum became the host, judge and executive producer of the reality show Project Runway on the U.S. cable television channel Bravo (airing on Lifetime television beginning in 2009), in which fashion designers compete for the opportunity to show their line at New York Fashion Week and receive money to launch their own fashion line. She received an Emmy Award nomination for the show for each of the first four seasons. In 2008, Klum and Project Runway received a Peabody Award, the first time a reality show won the award. Klum was nominated for an Emmy in 2008 for "outstanding host of a reality or reality-competition show" for Project Runway, the first year that category was recognized by the Emmys. Klum has been the host, judge and co-producer of Germany's Next Topmodel, the German version of the internationally successful reality television show, since 2006. All nine seasons aired on the German TV station ProSieben. In 2013, Klum, along with her co-host Tim Gunn won an Emmy Award for Outstanding Host for a Reality or Reality-Competition Program.
Design and other business ventures
Klum designed clothing lines (one for men), featured in the German mail-order catalog "Otto". She designed shoes for Birkenstock, jewelry for Mouawad, a clothing line for Jordache, and swimsuits – featured in the 2002 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue. She was one of the designers of the Victoria's Secret lingerie line "The Body", named after the nickname she received following her first Victoria's Secret Fashion Show appearance. Her Mouawad jewelry collection debuted on the cable shopping network QVC on September 14, 2006, and 14 of the 16 styles sold out after 36 minutes. Klum's clothing line for Jordache launched on April 30, 2008.
Klum has two fragrances, called "Heidi Klum" and "Me". She designed makeup for Victoria's Secret as part of their "Very Sexy Makeup Collection", titled "The Heidi Klum Collection". The first run debuted in Fall 2007. A second run was released in Fall 2008. Klum was involved in the development of a namesake rose, the  Heidi became Barbie's official ambassador for the doll's 50th anniversary in 2009, even having made a Barbie doll out of herself. On April 1 that same year, she appeared on the CBS television special, I Get That a Lot, as a girl working at a pizza shop. That same year, she appeared in advertising for Dannon's Light & Fit brand.
Klum and husband Seal announced in June 2010 that they will be making a reality series on Lifetime titled Love's Divine (after Seal's song of the same name.) In January 2010, Klum launched two lines of maternity wear: Lavish by Heidi Klum for A Pea in the Pod, and Loved by Heidi Klum for Motherhood Maternity. Klum stated, "I experienced fashion challenges during my four pregnancies and combined my knowledge of what works in terms of style, comfort and practicality to create these lines". In October 2010, Klum with New Balance, HKNB, launched a line of active woman's wear fashion clothing on Amazon.com. Klum is a "Real Celebrity" on the website Stardoll, where she has a line of virtual jewelry, and a virtual clothing line called Jordache. Users can go to Klum's suite (address) and interact with her by doing interviews, sending pending requests or dressing Klum's doll.
Klum is an artist, and had several of her paintings appear in various art magazines in the U.S. On September 27, 2002 she dedicated a sculpture she painted called "Dog with Butterflies" to commemorate the role of rescue dogs in the aftermath of September 11. In 2004, Klum co-authored Heidi Klum's Body of Knowledge with Elle magazine editor Alexandra Postman. The book gives Klum's biography as well as her advice on becoming successful. Prior to that, Klum had been an occasional guest columnist for the German television network RTL's website. She wrote an essay for the German newspaper Die Zeit.
In November 2006, Klum released her debut single "Wonderland", written for a series of television advertisements for the German retailer "Douglas". Proceeds were given to a children's charity in her hometown of Bergisch Gladbach. She contributed to her husband Seal's 2007 album System, singing the duet "Wedding Day", a song that Seal wrote for their wedding. In March 2013, it was announced that Klum would be joining America's Got Talent as the show's new fourth judge.
In 1997, Klum married stylist Ric Pipino. The couple divorced in 2002. Klum began a relationship with Flavio Briatore (the managing director of Renault's Formula One team) in 2003. The following year, Klum publicly announced her pregnancy. She gave birth to their first child, Helene Boshoven "Leni" Klum, in May 2004 in New York City.
In early 2004, while still pregnant with Leni, Klum began a relationship with musician Seal. With Briatore no longer involved in Heidi's life, Seal became Leni's de facto father. Seal was present for Leni's birth and Klum has stated emphatically that "Seal is Leni's father". Klum and Seal became engaged in December 2004 on a glacier in Whistler, British Columbia and married on May 10, 2005 on a beach in Mexico. They have three biological children together: sons Henry Gunther Ademola Dashtu Samuel (born 2005) and Johan Riley Fyodor Taiwo Samuel (born 2006), and daughter Lou Sulola Samuel (born 2009). On November 21, 2009, Klum officially adopted Seal's surname and became legally known as Heidi Samuel. Soon after, in December 2009, Seal officially adopted Leni, and her last name was changed to Samuel. During their marriage, Klum and Seal renewed their vows to one another each year on their anniversary in front of family and friends. On January 22, 2012, the couple announced that they were separating after almost seven years of marriage. She filed for divorce from Seal three months later on April 6, 2012. She also requested that her name be restored to her birth name of Heidi Klum.
On April 30, 2011, Klum led Walk for Kids, a community 5k to raise funds as part of Children's Hospital Los Angeles community awareness efforts. In May 2014, Klum was honoured with the Crystal Cross Award by the American Red Cross for her charity work, most notably for her contributions to the Red Cross after Hurricane Sandy.
|Sex and the City||Herself|
|2002||Malcolm in the Middle||Toothless Hockey Player|
|2003||Blue Collar Comedy Tour||Victoria's Secret Sales Girl|
|James Bond 007: Everything or Nothing (Video Game)||Katya Nadanova (Voice)|
|The Life and Death of Peter Sellers||Ursula Andress|
|2004–present||Project Runway||Host and judge|
|2006||The Devil Wears Prada||Herself|
|2006–present||Germany's Next Topmodel||Host and judge|
|2007||Perfect Stranger||Victoria's Secret Party Host|
|2008||How I Met Your Mother||Herself|
|2009–10||I Get That a Lot|
|2011||Hoodwinked Too! Hood vs. Evil|
|Seriously Funny Kids||Host|
|2013||Parks and Recreation||Danish Mayor|
|2013–present||America's Got Talent||Judge|
|2012–present||Littlest Pet Shop||Guest voice actor|
- Heidi Klum at the Fashion Model Directory
- Sports Illustrated Swimsuit: 50 Years of Beautiful special, February 3, 2014
"Heidi Klum". heidiklum.com. Retrieved 2007-08-28.
1. June 1973: My birthday in Bergisch Gladbach, Germany. Bundesrepublik Deutschland
- "Heidi Klum Becomes a Citizen". Daily Mail. 2008-11-05. Retrieved 2008-11-05.
- "Solid Gold" Cityist
- "Heidi Klum: "Ich bin ein deutsches Mädel" 7 September 2010, Op Online (in German)
- "Heidi Klum may have retired from modeling career but her body won't quit". Todakuaba.com. 2010-10-08. Retrieved 2011-07-24.
- Von Kühn, Alexander (2012-02-27). "Isch geh als isch".
"Heidi Klum". heidiklum.com. Retrieved 2007-09-25.
- "Heidi Klum". heidiklum.com. Archived from the original on 2007-10-12.
"Heidi Klum". heidiklum.com. Retrieved 2007-09-25.
Summer 1992 I stopped studying to be a fashion designer and instead, decide to pursue a career as a model
- "Amerikas Superstar '50 Cent' bei Saadi Gaddafi". Archived from the original on 2007-11-14. Retrieved 2008-01-17.
- "Heidi Klum quitting Victoria's Secret" NYPost.com [online]. (2010)
- "Body Painting: Masterpieces by Joanne Gair". Amazon. Retrieved 5 December 2014.
- "Heidi Klum is the new face of Jordache". Yahoo! News. 2007-05-19. Archived from the original on 2007-08-28. Retrieved 2007-08-25.
- IGN Staff (2004-03-12). "Interview with Heidi Klum". IGN. Retrieved 2007-08-25.
- "Seal: Naked music video was Klum's idea". DigitalSpy. 2010-09-30.
- Kiri Blakely (2007-07-16). "The World's Top-Earning Models". Forbes. Retrieved 2007-08-25.
- Kiri Blakely (2008-04-30). "The World's Top-Earning Models". Forbes. Retrieved 2008-05-02.
- "FMD - MVA Agency Profile of IMG Models". New York. fashionmodeldirectory.com. Retrieved 22 January 2010.
- "McDonalds Commercial Heidi Klum "Für Sie nur das Beste" 2007".
- "VIDEO: Heidi Klum's risqué business as she spoofs Tom Cruise's famous air guitar scene". Daily Mail. November 5, 2008
- "Rankin's 'Heidilicious' foreword by Husband Seal". Blog GlamourPhotography.co. Retrieved September 24, 2011.
- "Latest News about my Work" Klum web site
- "Playboy Birthday: Aubrey O'day Swings Back To Boys And Bares Her Naked Body". Fox News. 2009-02-18.
- "Heidi Klum represents Astor for Coty" September 10, 2010, Fashion Mag.com
- "Heidi Klum Is Retiring From Victoria’s Secret At 37! Do You Think She Should Stay?" September 30, 2010, Hollywood Life
- and Steven Bertoni, Keren Blankfeld (5 May 2011). "The World's Top-Earning Models".
- "Heidi Klum nackt in GQ" (in German). GQ Magazine. Retrieved 2011-09-08.
- "German designer Wolfgang Joop lashes out at supermodel". Bild.de. 17 April 2009. Retrieved 2011-09-08.
- """Heidi Klum attacked by Karl Lagerfeld. Fashion designer thinks supermodel is "too bling bling. Bild.de. 23 April 2009. Retrieved 2011-09-08.
- "Heidi Klum Celebrates Emmy Nom".
- Stelter, Brian (2008-07-17). "Emmy Nominations: They Give Awards to Reality Shows? (Just Kidding, ‘The Amazing Race’ Is Outstanding)". The New York Times. Retrieved 2010-05-04.
- "Report, Rock, Runway Get Peabody'd".
- Margaret Lyons (2013-09-16). "Bob Newhart, Heidi Klum Win First Emmys". vulture.com. Retrieved 10 July 2014.
- "Heidi Klum Birkenstock Sandals". Retrieved 2 October 2012.
- "Sports Illustrated Swimsuit". Retrieved 2 October 2012.
- Klum, Heidi; Postman, Alexandra (2004). Heidi Klum's Body of Knowledge. Crown Publishers.
- "Luck Was a Lady Last Night: The Heidi Klum Jewelry Collection a Run-way Hit on QVC". backchannelmedia.com. 2006-09-18. Archived from the original on 2007-08-24. Retrieved 2007-08-25.
- "Heidi Klum Launches Her Jordache Line". The Daily Stab. 2008-05-01. Retrieved 2008-05-02.
- "Heidi Klum Wants To Make You Sexy". Retrieved 2008-10-30.
- "Heidi Klum Rose". Retrieved 2007-08-25.
- "Plant: Heidi Klum Rose". Helpmefind.com. Retrieved 2011-07-24.
- "Heidi Klum Designs US Open T-shirt". August 25, 2008. Retrieved 2 October 2012.
- "News |Featured Doll | Barbie as Heidi Klum Strikes a Pose". BarbieCollector.com. Retrieved 2011-07-24.
- "Heidi Klum pretends to work in a pizza parlour... and gets told she should be a pole dancer". Daily Mail (London). 18 December 2010. Retrieved 2 October 2012.
- "Heidi Klum's Light Yogurt Commercial". thatsfit.com. 13 January 2010. Retrieved 2 October 2012.
- "Heidi Klum and Seal to show Love's Divine with New Reality Series". TV Guide.
- "Heidi Klum Launching Two Maternity Lines!" January 06, 2010, People
- Dorian, John (8 October 2010). "Heidi Klum for New Balance starts selling today at Amazon.com". Retrieved 2 October 2012.
- "Dress up Heidi Klum".
- "Heidi Klum and her dog Shila". celebritydogwatcher.com. 2007-03-30.
- "Ich habe einen Traum". Die Zeit. Archived from the original on 2007-10-09. Retrieved 2007-10-03.
- "Heidi Klum". douglas.de. Retrieved 2 October 2012.
- "'"Heidi Klum - Klum: 'I Felt Intimidated Singing With Seal. Contactmusic.com. Retrieved 2011-07-24.
- "'"Heidi Klum: I'm Gonna Be a Judge on 'Americas Got Talent.
- "Heidi Klum Biography".
- "News, December 17: Wynonna Judd Sentenced on DUI Charge, Robin Williams Takes Stage in Baghdad, Affleck To Start Daytona 500, More...". December 17, 2003. Archived from the original on September 7, 2012. Retrieved October 30, 2011.
- By KC Baker and Stephen M. Silverman (2004-05-05). "Klum, Dixie Chick Welcome 3 Baby Girls". People. Retrieved 2011-07-24.
- Skelly, Jessica (2005-03-21). "Heidi Klum: Seal and I Have Not Married". People. Retrieved 2011-07-24.
- William Keck (2007-12-03). "Celeb Watch: Heidi Klum relishes her model family life".
- "Heidi Klum and Seal Engaged to Wed". People. 2005-01-04. Retrieved 2012-01-23.
- "Heidi Klum and Seal Marry in Mexico". People. 2005-05-10. Retrieved 2012-01-23.
- "Klum Names Son After Her Dad and Seal". People. 2005-09-14. Retrieved 2007-08-25.
- Stephen M. Silverman (2006-11-23). "Heidi Klum and Seal Have a Boy". People. Retrieved 2007-08-25.
- "Heidi Klum and Seal welcome daughter Lou Sulola Samuel". celebrity-babies.com. Retrieved 2009-10-12.
"Heidi Klum Officially Takes Seal's Last Name". People. 2009-11-20. Retrieved 2009-11-22.
A rep for Klum did not comment when asked if [she] intends to be known professionally as Heidi Samuel from now on.
- "Seal Opens Up About Decision to Adopt Leni – Moms & Babies – Moms & Babies". Celebrity-babies.com. Retrieved 2011-07-24.
- Wihlborg, Ulrica. "Heidi Klum and Seal Renew Their Wedding Vows" People, May 8, 2010.
- "Heidi Klum to divorce husband Seal: report".
- Jessica Misener (January 21, 2012). "Heidi Klum, Seal Divorce? Model, Singer To Split (REPORT)".
- Bartolomeo, Joey (January 22, 2012). "Heidi Klum and Seal: We Are Separating".
- "Heidi Klum Files For Divorce" April 6, 2012, TMZ.com
- "It just started so I don't know where it's going': Heidi Klum admits she's dating her bodyguard, but stops short of calling romance a 'relationship".
- Newbold, Alice (2014-01-28). "Heidi Klum splits from bodyguard boyfriend Martin Kirsten - Telegraph". London: Fashion.telegraph.co.uk. Retrieved 2014-01-29.
- "Heidi Klum Dating Demi Moore's Ex-Boyfriend Vito Schnabel". US Magazine. February 11, 2014. Retrieved February 11, 2014.
- "Walk for Kids a Success". Children's Hospital Los Angeles. 2011-05-02. Retrieved 2011-05-02.
- "Heidi Klum honoured for charity work". indianexpress.com. 20 May 2014. Retrieved 10 July 2014.
- "Filmography by TV series for Heidi Klum".
- Weingus, Leigh (2013-08-11). "Heidi Klum On 'Parks And Recreation': Model Poses With Amy Poehler While Shooting Premiere". Huffingtonpost.com. Retrieved 2014-01-29.
- Heidi Klum Verified account (2014-10-04). "Exited to be a character on #LittlestPetShop @HubTVNetwork". Retrieved 2014-10-04.
- Official website
- Heidi Klum at the Internet Movie Database
- Heidi Klum at the Fashion Model Directory
- Interview in Der Spiegel (February 12, 2006)
- Body of KnowledgeAOL Books Interview about the book