Hans von Tettau
|Hans von Tettau|
30 November 1888|
30 January 1956
German Empire (to 1918)
Weimar Republic (to 1933)
|Years of service||1909–45|
|Rank||General der Infanterie|
Korpsgruppe von Tettau
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves|
Hans Bernhard Carl Otto von Tettau (30 November 1888 – 30 January 1956) was a decorated General der Infanterie in the Wehrmacht during World War II who held commands at the division and corps level. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross and its higher grade Oak Leaves was awarded to recognise battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Hans von Tettau was captured at the end of the war and was held until 1947. After his release he became a textile salesman and an author who wrote a book with General der Infanterie Kurt Versock called "The History of the 24th Infantry Division.
Despite his decorations, Von Tettau's reputation is debatable. Some German sources argue that Von Tettau had real little military experience up to his countermeasures at the Arnhem battle of 1944 (the Allied Iron Cross (1914)
- in Black
- Thomas 1998, p. 372.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 341.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 84.
- Patzwall, Klaus D.; Scherzer, Veit (2001). Das Deutsche Kreuz 1941 – 1945 Geschichte und Inhaber Band II [The German Cross 1941 – 1945 History and Recipients Volume 2] (in German). Norderstedt, Germany: Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag.
- Thomas, Franz (1998). Die Eichenlaubträger 1939–1945 Band 2: L–Z [The Oak Leaves Bearers 1939–1945 Volume 2: L–Z] (in German). Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio-Verlag.
- Verhoef, CEHJ (2012)De slag om de Ginkelse heide bij Ede / druk Heruitgave 17 en 18 September 1944. ISBN 9789461531667
- Hans von Tettau in the German National Library catalogue
- World War 2 Awards.com
- Lexikon der Wehrmacht
Generalleutnant Justin von Obernitz
Commander of 24. Infanterie-Division
14 June 1940 – 23 February 1943
General der Gebirgstruppen Kurt Versock