Hans Schmidt (general of the infantry)
28 April 1877|
5 June 1948
German Empire (to 1918)
Weimar Republic (to 1933)
|Years of service||1895–45|
|Rank||General of the Infantry|
|Commands held||260. Infanterie-Division|
World War I
World War II
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves|
Hans Schmidt (28 April 1877 – 5 June 1948) is a German General of the Infantry who served in the Heer in the Wehrmacht during World War II. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves (German: Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes mit Eichenlaub). The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross and its higher grade Oak Leaves was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership.
- Decorations 1
- Notes 2
- References 3
- External links 4
Iron Cross (1914)
- 2nd Class
- 1st Class
- Order of the Crown (Prussia), 4th Class
- Knight's Cross of the Royal House Order of Hohenzollern
- Military Merit Order (Bavaria), 4th Class with Crown and Swords
- Knight's Cross Second Class of the Albert Order
- Knight's Cross of the Military Merit Order (Württemberg)
- Knight's Cross, First Class of the Friedrich Order
- Hanseatic Cross of Hamburg
- Military Merit Cross (Austria-Hungary), 3rd Class with War Decoration
- Wehrmacht Long Service Award, 4th to 1st Class
Clasp to the Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (31 December 1939)
- 1st Class (4 July 1940)
- Eastern Front Medal
- German Cross Gold (6 November 1942)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- According to Scherzer as Generalleutnant.
- Rangliste des Deutschen Reichsheeres, Mittler & Sohn Verlag, Berlin 1930, S.108
- Thomas 1998, p. 268.
- Scherzer 2007, p. 669.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 381.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 74.
- This article incorporates information from the equivalent article on the Français WorldHeritage.
- Patzwall, Klaus D.; Scherzer, Veit (2001). Das Deutsche Kreuz 1941 – 1945 Geschichte und Inhaber Band II [The German Cross 1941 – 1945 History and Recipients Volume 2] (in German). Norderstedt, Germany: Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag.
- Thomas, Franz (1998). Die Eichenlaubträger 1939–1945 Band 2: L–Z [The Oak Leaves Bearers 1939–1945 Volume 2: L–Z] (in German). Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio-Verlag.
- (German) Hans Schmidt sur Lexikon der Wehrmacht