23 February 1918|
|Years of service||1936–1945|
|Unit||Infanterie-Regiment 59, Schützen-Regiment 59|
|Commands held||I./Panzergrenadier-Regiments 74, Panzer-Regiment 27|
|Battles/wars||World War II|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves|
Hans Meier (born 23 February 1918 in Holzminden) was a German officer during World War II. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves (German: Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes mit Eichenlaub), an honor awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership.
- Awards and decorations 1
- Notes 2
- References 3
- External links 4
Awards and decorations
Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (6 October 1939)
- 1st Class (23 July 1940)
Wound Badge (1939)
- in Black
- in Silver
- Infantry Assault Badge
- Eastern Front Medal
Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- Knight's Cross on 30 September 1944 as Hauptmann and leader of the I./Panzergrenadier-Regiment 74
- (874th) Oak Leaves on 8 May 1945 as Hauptmann and commander of the I./Panzergrenadier-Regiment 74[Note 1]
- Hans Meier's nomination for the Oak Leaves was received by the Heerespersonalamt (HPA—Army Staff Office) from the troop on 12 April 1945 and approved by all intermittent commanding officers. No further comments or indications of approval have been noted and left unfinished by the end of the war. A non contemporary file card notes an entry date 17 March 1945 which could be the nomination date of the troop. The nomination list for the higher grades of Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross indicates an entry date 12 April 1945, no further date is listed. A comment states: "Unfinished". According to the Association of Knight's Cross Recipients (AKCR) the award was presented in accordance with the Dönitz-decree. This is illegal according to the Deutsche Dienststelle (WASt) and lacks legal justification. The sequential number "874" was assigned by the AKCR, the presentation date by Fellgiebel.
- Thomas 1998, p. 67.
- Fellgiebel 2000, pp. 301, 497.
- Scherzer 2007, p. 533.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 104.
- Scherzer 2007, p. 158.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag.
- Thomas, Franz (1998). Die Eichenlaubträger 1939–1945 Band 2: L–Z [The Oak Leaves Bearers 1939–1945 Volume 2: L–Z] (in German). Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio-Verlag.
- World War 2 Awards.com
- Lexikon der Wehrmacht