9 December 1908|
Saalfeld, East Prussia
31 December 1970
|Years of service||1937–45|
|Rank||Hauptmann der Reserve|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves|
Hans-Joachim Kappis (9 December 1908 – 31 December 1970) was a highly decorated Hauptmann der Reserve in the Wehrmacht during World War II. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross and its higher grade Oak Leaves was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership.
- Awards and decorations 1
- Notes 2
- References 3
- External links 4
Awards and decorations
Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (30 August 1941)
- 1st Class (10 December 1942)
- Eastern Front Medal
- German Cross in Gold (14 September 1944)
Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- Knight's Cross on 18 February 1945 as Oberleutnant der Reserve and deputy leader of the I./Grenadier-Regiment 45
- (849th) Oak Leaves on 28 April 1945 as Oberleutnant der Reserve and leader of the II./Grenadier-Regiment 45[Note 1]
- The sequential numbers greater than 843 for the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves are unofficial and were assigned by the Association of Knight's Cross Recipients (AKCR) and are therefore denoted in parentheses.
- Thomas 1997, p. 347.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 206.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 85.
- Fellgiebel 2000, pp. 102–111.
- Patzwall, Klaus D.; Scherzer, Veit (2001). Das Deutsche Kreuz 1941 – 1945 Geschichte und Inhaber Band II [The German Cross 1941 – 1945 History and Recipients Volume 2] (in German). Norderstedt, Germany: Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag.
- Thomas, Franz (1997). Die Eichenlaubträger 1939–1945 Band 1: A–K [The Oak Leaves Bearers 1939–1945 Volume 1: A–K] (in German). Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio-Verlag.
- Lexikon der Wehrmacht