21 March 1908|
14 January 2000
Weimar Republic (to 1933)
|Years of service||1927–45|
|Commands held||Führer Grenadier Brigade|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves|
Hans-Joachim Kahler (21 March 1908 – 14 January 2000) was a highly decorated Generalmajor in the Wehrmacht during World War II, and one of only 882 recipients of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross and its higher grade Oak Leaves was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Hans-Joachim Kahler was captured by British troops in May 1945 and was released in 1946.
Awards and decorations
Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (3 July 1940)
- 1st Class (3 September 1941)
Wound Badge (1939)
- in Black or in Silver
- Eastern Front Medal (4 September 1942)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- Thomas 1997, p. 341.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 204.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 65.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag.
- Thomas, Franz (1997). Die Eichenlaubträger 1939–1945 Band 1: A–K [The Oak Leaves Bearers 1939–1945 Volume 1: A–K] (in German). Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio-Verlag.
- Lexikon der Wehrmacht
Commander of Führer Grenadier Brigade
10 July 1944 – 23 December 1944
Major von Courbière