Hans-Henning Freiherr von Beust
|Hans-Henning Freiherr von Beust|
17 April 1913
27 March 1991
Weimar Republic (to 1933)
Nazi Germany (to 1945)
|Years of service||
|Commands held||Kampfgeschwader 27|
Spanish Civil War
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves|
Hans-Henning Freiherr von Beust[a] (17 April 1913 – 27 March 1991) was a highly decorated Oberst in the Luftwaffe during World War II, and one of only 882 recipients of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross and its higher grade Oak Leaves was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Hans-Henning Freiherr von Beust was captured by American troops in May 1945 and was released in June 1947. He later joined the Bundeswehr in 1957 and retired in 1971.
Awards and decorations
- Spanish Cross in Gold with Swords (6 June 1939)
- Front Flying Clasp of the Luftwaffe in Gold with Pennant
- Iron Cross (1939)
- Ehrenpokal der Luftwaffe (24 October 1940)
- German Cross in Gold (10 May 1943)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- a Regarding personal names: Freiherr is a former title (translated as Baron), which is now legally a part of the last name. The feminine forms are Freifrau and Freiin.
- Thomas 1997, p. 43.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 112.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 64.
- Kaiser, Jochen (2010). Die Ritterkreuzträger der Kampfflieger—Band 1 [The Knight's Cross Bearers of the Bomber Fliers—Volume 1] (in German and English). Bad Zwischenahn, Germany: Luftfahrtverlag-Start.
- Schaulen, Fritjof (2003). Eichenlaubträger 1940 – 1945 Zeitgeschichte in Farbe I Abraham – Huppertz [Oak Leaves Bearers 1940 – 1945 Contemporary History in Color I Abraham – Huppertz] (in German). Selent, Germany: Pour le Mérite.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag.
- Thomas, Franz (1997). Die Eichenlaubträger 1939–1945 Band 1: A–K [The Oak Leaves Bearers 1939–1945 Volume 1: A–K] (in German). Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio-Verlag.
- Ritterkreuztraeger 1939–1945
- Lexikon der Wehrmacht
- World War 2 Awards.com
Major Gerhard Ulbricht
Commander of Kampfgeschwader 27
1 March 1942 – November 1943
Major Rudi Kiel