8 July 1919
28 September 1943
|Years of service||1937–1943|
|Commands held||I./NJG 1|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves|
Hans-Dieter Frank (8 July 1919 – 28 September 1943) was a German Luftwaffe night fighter ace and recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves during World War II. Frank claimed 55 aerial victories.[Notes 1] The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross and its higher grade Oak Leaves was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Frank was killed in a mid-air collision with another night fighter northwest of Celle in the night of 28/29 September 1943. This collision was likely caused by an attack made on his fighter by RAF night fighter ace Bob Braham.
- Ehrenpokal der Luftwaffe (19 October 1942)
- Front Flying Clasp of the Luftwaffe in Gold
Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class
- 1st Class
- German Cross in Gold on 27 November 1942 as Oberleutnant in the 2./Nachtjagdgeschwader 1
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- For a list of Luftwaffe night fighter aces see List of German World War II night fighter aces.
- Thomas 1997, p. 174.
- Foreman, Mathews & Parry 2004, p. 77.
- Patzwall and Scherzer 2001, p. 119.
- Scherzer 2007, p. 315.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 184.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 79.
- Foreman, John; Matthews, Johannes; Parry, Simon (2004). Luftwaffe Night Fighter Claims 1939 – 1945. Walton on Thames, UK: Red Kite. ISBN 978-0-9538061-4-0.
- Obermaier, Ernst (1989). Die Ritterkreuzträger der Luftwaffe Jagdflieger 1939 – 1945 [The Knight's Cross Bearers of the Luftwaffe Fighter Force 1941 – 1945] (in German). Mainz, Germany: Verlag Dieter Hoffmann.
- Patzwall, Klaus D.; Scherzer, Veit (2001). Das Deutsche Kreuz 1941 – 1945 Geschichte und Inhaber Band II [The German Cross 1941 – 1945 History and Recipients Volume 2] (in German). Norderstedt, Germany: Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag.
- Thomas, Franz (1997). Die Eichenlaubträger 1939–1945 Band 1: A–K [The Oak Leaves Bearers 1939–1945 Volume 1: A–K] (in German). Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio-Verlag.
- World War 2 Awards.com
- Lexikon der Wehrmacht
Major Werner Streib
Commander of I. Nachtjagdgeschwader 1
1 July 1943 – 22 September 1943
Hauptmann Manfred Meurer