2 August 1896|
Verden an der Aller
28 April 1994
German Empire (to 1918)
Weimar Republic (to 1933)
|Years of service||
|Commands held||361. Infanterie-Division|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves|
Gerhard Lindemann (2 August 1896 – 28 April 1994) was a highly decorated Generalmajor in the Wehrmacht during World War II, and one of only 882 recipients of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross and its higher grade Oak Leaves was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Gerhard Lindemann was captured by Soviet forces in July 1944 during the Lvov–Sandomierz Offensive. He was released from captivity in 1955.
Awards and decorations
Iron Cross (1914)
- 2nd Class (5 October 1915)
- 1st Class (25 April 1918)
- Honour Cross of the World War 1914/1918
Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (24 May 1940)
- 1st Class (10 June 1940)
- Eastern Front Medal
- German Cross in Gold (7 March 1942)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 239.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 74.
- Patzwall, Klaus D.; Scherzer, Veit (2001). Das Deutsche Kreuz 1941 – 1945 Geschichte und Inhaber Band II [The German Cross 1941 – 1945 History and Recipients Volume 2] (in German). Norderstedt, Germany: Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag.
- Thomas, Franz (1998). Die Eichenlaubträger 1939–1945 Band 2: L–Z [The Oak Leaves Bearers 1939–1945 Volume 2: L–Z] (in German). Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio-Verlag.
- World War 2 Awards.com
- Lexikon der Wehrmacht
Generalleutnant Siegmund Freiherr von Schleinitz
Commander of 361. Infanterie-Division
30 May 1944 – 22 July 1944
Generalmajor Alfred Philippi