The FreeBSD Foundation is a FreeBSD Project, its development and its community. Funding comes from individual and corporate donations, and is used to sponsor developers for specific activities, purchase hardware and network infrastructure and provide travel grants to developer summits. The FreeBSD Foundation is able to provide legal representation to sign contracts and agreements on behalf of the FreeBSD Project, and also holds the FreeBSD trademark and related domain names.
The FreeBSD Foundation received initial 501(c)(3) charity status on December 7, 2000, and the Foundation was formally announced to the world on June 27, 2001.
FreeBSD Foundation Board of Directors
The current Board of Directors is as follows:
- Justin T. Gibbs, President.
- Erwin Lansing, Vice President.
- Deb Goodkin, Secretary and Treasurer.
- Dr. Hiroki Sato, Director
- Dr. Robert N. M. Watson, Director.
- Dru Lavigne, Director.
- George V. Neville-Neil, Director
- Dr. Marshall Kirk McKusick, Director.
- Bresler, Jonathan M. Mail to freebsd-announce: The FreeBSD Foundation -- an introduction, June 27, 2001. Visited June 12, 2011.
- FreeBSD Foundation