24 April 1912
Did not recognize date. Try slightly modifying the date in the first parameter. (aged 29)
missing in action near Velikiye Luki
|Unit||JG 76, JG 54|
|Battles/wars||World War II|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves|
Franz Eckerle (24 April 1912 – 14 February 1942) was a German former Luftwaffe fighter ace and recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves during World War II. A flying ace or fighter ace is a military aviator credited with shooting down five or more enemy aircraft during aerial combat.
Franz Eckerle was forced to make an emergency landing behind Soviet lines southeast of Schlüsselburg on 14 February 1942. He was posted as missing in action and presumed killed. He was posthumously honoured with the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves (Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes mit Eichenlaub) on 12 March 1942 for 59 aerial victories.
- Iron Cross (1939)
- Ehrenpokal der Luftwaffe (19 December 1940)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- Spick 1996, pp. 3–4.
- Weal 2007, p. 24.
- Thomas 1997, p. 139.
- Scherzer 2007, p. 287.
- Obermaier, Ernst (1989). Die Ritterkreuzträger der Luftwaffe Jagdflieger 1939 – 1945 [The Knight's Cross Bearers of the Luftwaffe Fighter Force 1941 – 1945] (in German). Mainz, Germany: Verlag Dieter Hoffmann.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag.
- Spick, Mike (1996). Luftwaffe Fighter Aces. New York:
- Thomas, Franz (1997). Die Eichenlaubträger 1939–1945 Band 1: A–K [The Oak Leaves Bearers 1939–1945 Volume 1: A–K] (in German). Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio-Verlag.
- Weal, John (2007). More Bf 109 Aces of the Russian Front. Oxford, UK:
- "Franz Eckerle". Aces of the Luftwaffe. Retrieved 1 February 2010.
- "Franz Eckerle". Lexikon der wehrmacht. Retrieved 1 February 2010.