14 August 1912
10 December 1996
|Years of service||1934–45|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves|
Erwin Fischer (14 August 1912 – 10 December 1996) was a highly decorated Major in the Luftwaffe during World War II, and one of only 882 recipients of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross and its higher grade Oak Leaves was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Erwin Fischer was captured by British troops in May 1945 and was released in August 1945.
Awards and decorations
- Aviator badge
- Front Flying Clasp of the Luftwaffe
Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (18 September 1939)
- 1st Class (23 July 1940)
- German Cross in Gold on 26 February 1942 as Oberleutnant in the 1.(F)/Aufklärungs-Gruppe 121
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- Thomas 1997, p. 166.
- Patzwall and Scherzer 2001, p. 114.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 151.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 58.
- Patzwall, Klaus D.; Scherzer, Veit (2001). Das Deutsche Kreuz 1941 – 1945 Geschichte und Inhaber Band II [The German Cross 1941 – 1945 History and Recipients Volume 2] (in German). Norderstedt, Germany: Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag.
- Thomas, Franz (1997). Die Eichenlaubträger 1939–1945 Band 1: A–K [The Oak Leaves Bearers 1939–1945 Volume 1: A–K] (in German). Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio-Verlag.
- World War 2 Awards.com
- Lexikon der Wehrmacht
- Luftwaffe 39-45