14 January 1904|
17 July 1970
Nazi Germany (to 1945)
|Years of service||
Panzer Division Holstein
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves|
|Other work||Police officer|
Ernst Wellmann (14 January 1904 – 17 July 1970) was a highly decorated Oberst in the Wehrmacht during World War II, and one of only 882 recipients of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross and its higher grade Oak Leaves was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership.
Awards and decorations
- Sudetenland Medal with Prague Castle Bar
Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (20 September 1939)
- 1st Class (21 October 1939)
Wound Badge (1939)
- in Black
- Infantry Assault Badge
- Eastern Front Medal
- German Cross in Gold (8 June 1942)
Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- Knight's Cross on 2 September 1942 as Oberstleutnant and commander of I./Panzergrenadier-Regiment 3
- 342nd Oak Leaves on 30 November 1943 as Oberstleutnant and commander of Panzergrenadier-Regiment 3
- Thomas 1998, p. 433.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 358.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 65.
- Patzwall, Klaus D.; Scherzer, Veit (2001). Das Deutsche Kreuz 1941 – 1945 Geschichte und Inhaber Band II [The German Cross 1941 – 1945 History and Recipients Volume 2] (in German). Norderstedt, Germany: Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag.
- Thomas, Franz (1998). Die Eichenlaubträger 1939–1945 Band 2: L–Z [The Oak Leaves Bearers 1939–1945 Volume 2: L–Z] (in German). Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio-Verlag.
- Lexikon der Wehrmacht
- World war 2 Awards.com