8 July 1914|
3 August 1995
Nazi Germany (to 1945)
|Years of service||
Oberst im Generalstab (Bundeswehr)
|Commands held||Füsilier-Battalion 246|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves|
Ernst Kuppinger (8 July 1914 – 3 August 1995) was a highly decorated Hauptmann in the Wehrmacht during World War II. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross and its higher grade Oak Leaves was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Ernst Kuppinger was captured by French troops in April 1945 and was held until April 1946.
Awards and decorations
Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (17 June 1940)
- 1st Class (1 October 1941)
Wound Badge (1939)
- in Black
- in Silver
- in Gold
- Infantry Assault Badge
- Eastern Front Medal
Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- Knight's Cross on 24 December 1944 as Hauptmann and commander of the II./Grenadier-Regiment 352
- 819th Oak Leaves on 5 April 1945 as Hauptmann and commander of Füsilier-Battalion 246
- Thomas 1997, p. 431.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 230.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 84.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag.
- Thomas, Franz (1997). Die Eichenlaubträger 1939–1945 Band 1: A–K [The Oak Leaves Bearers 1939–1945 Volume 1: A–K] (in German). Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio-Verlag.
- Lexikon der Wehrmacht