5 March 1891|
29 April 1950
German Empire (to 1918)
Weimar Republic (to 1919)
|Years of service||
|Rank||General der Artillerie|
XII. SS Armeekorps
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves|
Eduard Crasemann (5 March 1891 – 29 April 1950) was a highly decorated General der Artillerie in the Wehrmacht during World War II who commanded several divisions. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross and its higher grade Oak Leaves was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. General der Artillerie Crasemann was captured by British troops in the Ruhr Pocket. In 1947 he was convicted for war crimes by a British court in Padua, on a charge of complicity with the mass execution of 174 Italian civilians in the Fucecchio Marshes near Florence on 23 August 1944. Sentenced to 10 years, he spent the rest of his life in prison.
Awards and decorations
- Iron Cross (1914)
- Honour Cross of the World War 1914/1918
- Clasp to the Iron Cross (1939)
- German Cross in Gold (1 November 1943)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- Mentioned in the Wehrmachtbericht (24 November 1944)
- Armband Afrika
- Samuel Mitcham, Rommel's Lieutenants: the Men who Served the Desert Fox, p. 121 (2007).
- Thomas 1997, p. 104.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 132.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 78.
- Patzwall, Klaus D.; Scherzer, Veit (2001). Das Deutsche Kreuz 1941 – 1945 Geschichte und Inhaber Band II [The German Cross 1941 – 1945 History and Recipients Volume 2] (in German). Norderstedt, Germany: Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag.
- Thomas, Franz (1997). Die Eichenlaubträger 1939–1945 Band 1: A–K [The Oak Leaves Bearers 1939–1945 Volume 1: A–K] (in German). Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio-Verlag.
- World War 2 Awards.com
- Lexikon der Wehrmacht
- Eduard Crasemann @ Axis Biographical Research at the Wayback Machine (archived November 16, 2010)
Generalmajor Gustav von Vaerst
acting commander of 15. Panzer-Division
26 May 1942 – 15 July 1942
Generalmajor Heinz von Randow
Oberst Dr. rer. pol. Dr. jur. Hans Boelsen
Commander of 26. Panzer-Division
6 July 1944 – 18 July 1944
Oberst Carl Stollbrock