|Directed by||Luke Thompson|
|Produced by||Michael Mazur, Luke Thompson, Burton DeWilde|
|Starring||Zoë Hatherell, Tom Procter, Stewart Martin-Haugh, Sara Mahmoud, William P.Martin|
|Music by||Tom McLaughlan|
|Edited by||Burton DeWilde|
|Running time||75 minutes|
Decay is a 2012 horror film by Luke Thompson (of the University of Manchester), set at the Large Hadron Collider in Switzerland. The movie was created on a budget of $3,225 and was filmed over a period of two years by Thompson and his fellow physicists. The film was released online for free under a Creative Commons license. Decay was premiered on November 29, 2012, and centres on the idea of the Large Hadron Collider transforming scientists into zombies.
Thompson, a physics doctoral student, came up with the idea of the film while he was walking through the maintenance tunnels at CERN and began thinking that it would be a good location for a horror movie. In an interview with Wired, he stated that the film was initially started for fun, but that it was also an opportunity to "do some satirical commentary on various aspects of people’s perceptions of science".
Decay follows several students who discover that the maintenance crew and a group of scientist working on the Large Hadron Collider have been transformed into zombies after the particle accelerator malfunctions. The students must try to evade the zombies while running through CERN's maintenance tunnels.
- Zoë Hatherell as Amy
- Tom Procter as Connor
- Stewart Martin-Haugh as James
- Sara Mahmoud as Kate
- William P. Martin as Matt
Thompson began filming in 2010 and took two years to complete Decay, with the film's crew having to borrow cameras and create special effects on a limited budget. CERN gave permission for Decay to be filmed at the research center with the stipulation that they not film in any of the facility's more sensitive areas.
Decay was released on 8 December 2012  for download and streaming via YouTube and Vimeo.
- Pluta, Werner (1 November 2012). "DecayZombies im Cern". Golem.de. Retrieved 22 November 2012.
- Boyle, Rebecca (31 October 2012). "Large Hadron Collider Unleashes Rampaging Zombies".
- Ranzini, Gianluca (5 November 2012). "Zombie al Cern di Ginevra!".
- "Nuclear lab facility becomes movie set for students' zombie film".
- Ouellette, Jennifer (19 November 2012). "Horror Movie Chronicles CERN Zombie Apocalypse".
- Wax, Alyse (14 November 2012). "'"Zombies Get Brainy in Upcoming Large Hadron Collider Movie 'Decay.
- Wattercutter, Angela (31 October 2012). "Physics Students Make Zombie Movie Decay Deep Within the Bowels of CERN".
- Woerner, Meredith (1 November 2012). "Watch the trailer for Decay, a zombie movie shot at CERN, home of the Large Hadron Collider".
- Dacey, James (31 October 2012). "Zombies in the machine".
- Strange, Adario (29 October 2012). "Students take over Large Hadron Collider to shoot a zombie film".
- "http://www.decayfilm.com/2012/decay-released-online.html". Decay Official Website.
- Official website
- Decay at the Internet Movie Database