|Single by Jan Hammer|
|Released||September 14, 1987|
|Genre||Instrumental, New Wave, Soft rock, Chillout|
"Crockett's Theme" is an instrumental song written for the hit NBC series Miami Vice. The surname Crockett refers to Don Johnson's character, James "Sonny" Crockett. The initial version of the theme first appeared in the episode Calderone's Return: Part 1 - The Hit List which aired on October 19, 1984. The song was composed by Jan Hammer.
Although not a big success in America, the song was a smash hit in the UK, reaching #2 in the singles chart there. It was a #1 in the Netherlands for 4 weeks. It was not originally called "Crockett's Theme", but its success led Jan Hammer to feature the original version on his 1987 album Escape from Television.
- In 1990 The Shadows recorded a guitar version of Crockett's Theme on their album Reflection.
- A more recent cover has been made by house artist Michael Cassette on their album Temporarity, released 2010.
- In 1998, Trance Atlantic Air Waves released their cover of Crockett's Theme as single.
- In 2000 covered DJ Sakin & Friends, a hard trance version under the name "Miami".
On July 23, 2013, this was also covered by The Green Children on their new album "Connection" on the track "Norwegian Dream"
Between 1991 and 1994, it featured in a series of adverts for National Westminster Bank in the United Kingdom.
NBC Sports used "Crockett's Theme" during its prologue (narrated by Bob Costas) for Game 5 of their 1991 NBA Finals coverage between the Chicago Bulls and Los Angeles Lakers, and it's still one of the tones played in the Staples Center during Lakers games.
The song gained new fame in Finland in the late 1990s when a then popular, now defunct, radio channel, Kiss FM, started playing it on their morning shows.
The instrumental song was also featured on the 1987 Amiga game Mike the Magic Dragon, and later in 2002 on the hit PlayStation 2 Game, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, on the fictional radio station, Emotion 98.3.
It was also included in the compilation album Pure Moods.
Hammer was asked to remake the track in 2006 with R&B singer TQ.
A remix version of the song was used as an intro track for Deftones 2013 spring tour.
Electric Lady Lab based their 2013 song "Open Doors" on this song.
- "De Nederlandse Top 40, week 19, 1987". Retrieved 2008-03-10.
- Trance.Atlantic.Air.Waves* – Crockett's Theme