|Motto: "The Friendliest Town in Texas"|
Location of Coleman, Texas
|• Total||6.2 sq mi (16.0 km2)|
|• Land||6.1 sq mi (15.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.04 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|Elevation||1,703 ft (519 m)|
|• Density||767/sq mi (296.0/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||1333090|
- Geography 1
- Demographics 2
- Education 3
- Notable people 4
- Camp Colorado 5
- Climate 6
- References 7
- External links 8
Coleman is located north of the center of Coleman County at (31.827694, -99.425689). U.S. Routes 84 and 283 pass through the northeast side of the city. US 84 leads northwest 52 miles (84 km) to Abilene and southeast 30 miles (48 km) to Brownwood, while US 283 leads north 41 miles (66 km) to Baird and south 52 miles (84 km) to Brady.
According to the United States Census Bureau, Coleman has a total area of 6.2 square miles (16.0 km2), of which 6.1 square miles (15.9 km2) is land and 0.04 square miles (0.1 km2), or 0.58%, is water.
At the census of 2000, there were 5,127 people, 2,179 households, and 1,403 families residing in the city. The population density was 831.9 people per square mile (321.4/km²). There were 2,658 housing units at an average density of 431.3/sq mi (166.6/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 85.04% White, 2.95% African American, 0.66% Native American, 0.23% Asian, 8.89% from other races, and 2.22% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 16.93% of the population.
There were 2,179 households out of which 28.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 48.3% were married couples living together, 11.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 35.6% were non-families. 32.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 19.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.33 and the average family size was 2.93.
In the city the population was spread out with 25.0% under the age of 18, 7.7% from 18 to 24, 23.1% from 25 to 44, 21.7% from 45 to 64, and 22.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 87.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 82.1 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $22,769, and the median income for a family was $28,356. Males had a median income of $24,226 versus $15,526 for females. The per capita income for the city was $13,752. About 19.3% of families and 24.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 34.4% of those under age 18 and 14.6% of those age 65 or over, median age 42.6 yrs.
The city is served by the Coleman Independent School District, which has about 1,000 students. During the 2006-2007 academic year, there were 475 students in elementary schools, 203 in junior high, and 274 in high school.
- Ronnie Dunn of the country group Brooks & Dunn, born in Coleman in 1953
- Tom Jones, co-writer of The Fantasticks, went to high school in Coleman
- Carobeth Laird, ethnologist born in Coleman
Camp Colorado was established in 1855 and abandoned in 1861. The camp then became headquarters for the Texas Mounted Rifles in 1861 and the Texas Frontier Regiment in 1863.
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Coleman has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
- "American FactFinder".
- "US Board on Geographic Names".
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Census Summary File 1 (G001): Coleman city, Texas". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved July 29, 2015.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990".
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2014". Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- Texas Historical Marker #5083000657
- Climate Summary for Coleman, Texas
- City of Coleman official website
- Coleman County official website
- Coleman Texas Chamber of Commerce