The Church of St Mary
|Area||2.61 sq mi (6.8 km2) |
|Population||120 2001 Census|
|- Density||46 /sq mi (18 /km2)|
|OS grid reference|
|- London||88 miles (142 km) SSE|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||East Midlands|
|UK Parliament||Rutland and Melton|
The village is well known for its limestone quarries. Clipsham stone, part of the Upper Lincolnshire Limestone Formation, can be found in many of Britain's most famous buildings including King's College Chapel (Cambridge), the Examination Schools in Oxford, York Minster, and in repairs to the Houses of Parliament. The earliest recorded use of Clipsham Stone was for Windsor Castle between 1363 and 1368.
The topiary Yew Tree Avenue, once the carriage drive to Clipsham Hall, is now maintained by the Forestry Commission. The avenue stretches for 500 metres (1,600 ft), with some 150 shaped yew trees leading towards the Hall, an 18th-century mansion set in a landscaped park. Many of the trees are over 200 years old and have been trimmed since 1870 into various shapes depicting birds and animals on the tops and designs in relief on the sides.
Film of Clipsham Quarry in 1927
|Commons has media related to Clipsham.|