The stretch of the River Thames between Mortlake and Putney in London, England is a well-established course for rowing races, most famously the Oxford and Cambridge Boat Race. It is often referred to as The Championship Course. The course is on the tidal reaches of the river often referred to as the Tideway.
In 1845 it was agreed to stage the Boat Race (which had on five previous occasions been contested from Westminster Bridge to Putney) on a course from 'Putney Bridge to Mortlake Church tower'. The aim was to reduce the interference from heavy river traffic on the race.
The course was later defined by two stones on the southern bank of the river, marked "U.B.R." for University Boat Race; one just downstream of Chiswick Bridge, close to The Ship public house, and the other just upstream of Putney Bridge. The course distance is 4 miles and 374 yards (6,779 m), as measured along the centre of the river's stream.
Since the Boat Race moved to this course in 1845, it has always been raced on a flood tide from Putney to Mortlake except in 1846, 1856 and 1863. The Wingfield Sculls is also raced from Putney to Mortlake. Most other events race on an ebb tide from Mortlake to Putney.
In April 1869 the Harvard University Boat Club challenged Oxford University Boat Club to an "International University Boat-Race" of coxed fours on the Boat Race course. The event took place on August 27, 1869 and was narrowly won by Oxford. The new Atlantic cable allowed daily reports to be received by all major newspapers across America within 23 minutes of the finish. U.S. public interest in the event was huge with more publicity than any sporting event to date, and within two years of the event the "newly awakened interest in rowing at many of the most noted seats of learning" doubled the number of boat clubs in the U.S., and lead to the formation of the Rowing Association of American Colleges.
|The University Stone||South||-0.268151|region:GB_type:landmark||name=The Boat Race Finish
|Stag Brewery||South||-0.266376|region:FR_type:landmark||name=Stag Brewery
|Barnes Railway Bridge||n/a||-0.253758|region:FR_type:landmark||name=Barnes Railway Bridge }}|| When racing, crews must pass through the centre arch.|
|The Bandstand||North||-0.252149|region:GB_type:landmark||name=The Bandstand }}|||
|The Crossing||n/a||-0.250583|region:GB_type:landmark||name=The Crossing
}}|| Marks the start of the long Surrey bend.
|Chiswick Pier||North||-0.250937|region:GB_type:landmark||name=Chiswick Pier }} |||
|Chiswick Eyot||North||-0.245814|region:GB_type:landmark||name=Chiswick Eyot }}||An uninhabited river island. There is a channel behind (north of) the eyot navigable at high tide, but it is never used for racing.|
|Fuller's Brewery||North||-0.250411|region:GB_type:landmark||name=Chiswick Eyot }} ||Just visible to crews, behind the eyot.|
|St Paul's School||South||-0.235855|region:GB_type:landmark||name=St Paul's School }}|||
|Hammersmith Bridge||n/a||-0.230536|region:GB_type:landmark||name=Hammersmith Bridge }}||Coxes use a particular lamp-post that shows the deepest part of the river and therefore the fastest line.|
|Harrods' Furniture Repository||South||-0.227956|region:GB_type:landmark||name=Harrods' Furniture Repository }}||Previously the warehouse for the famous shop, now apartments.|
|The Crabtree||North||-0.223482|region:GB_type:landmark||name=The Crabtree
|The Mile Post||South||-0.226987|region:GB_type:landmark||name=The Mile Post
London Rowing Club and is precisely a mile from the Putney stone marking the end of the course.
|Fulham Football Club||North||-0.221655|region:GB_type:landmark||name=Fulham Football Club }}|| The stadium is known as 'Craven Cottage': crews stay wide round the bend as the area in front of the ground is shallow, with slack water.|
|The Black Buoy||South||-0.221132|region:GB_type:landmark||name=The Black Buoy }} || The large buoy marks the start of the area of the Putney Boat Houses. It has a reputation for ensnaring inexperienced crews when there is a fast ebb tide, for example during the various Head of the River races.|
|The Putney Stone||South||-0.213756|region:GB_type:landmark||name=Boat Race start
- Boustead Cup (February/March)
- Women's Eights Head of the River Race (March)
- Schools' Head of the River Race (March)
- Head of the River Race (March/April)
- Veterans Head (March)
- Oxford and Cambridge Boat Race (March/April)
- Wingfield Sculls (October/November)
- Head of the River Fours (November)
- Scullers Head (November/December)
Rowing clubs along the course
- Tideway Scullers School
- Thames Tradesmen's Rowing Club
- Emanuel School Boat Club
- Cygnet Rowing Club
- Barnes Bridge Ladies Rowing Club
- Sons of the Thames Rowing Club
- Latymer Upper School Boat Club
- Furnivall Sculling Club
- St Pauls School Boat Club
- Auriol Kensington Rowing Club
- Nautilus Rowing Club (ARA headquarters)
- Barn Elms Rowing Club
- Parr’s Priory Rowing Club
- Imperial College Boat Club
- Thames Rowing Club
- Vesta Rowing Club
- King's College School Boat Club
- Dulwich College Boat Club
- Westminster School Boat Club
- HSBC Rowing Club
- London Rowing Club
- Rowing on the River Thames
- The Port of London Rowing Chart includes a map of the course showing detailed rules for rowers, the deep water channel, local rowing clubs and other landmarks.