The movie cover for Black Brigade.
|Directed by||George McCowan|
|Produced by||Aaron Spelling|
|Music by||Fred Steiner|
|Distributed by||American Broadcasting Company|
Black Brigade is the DVD release title of the television movie Carter's Army, which aired as an ABC Movie of the Week on January 27, 1970. The movie is a war drama that stars a host of prominent African-American film actors, including Richard Pryor, Rosie Grier, Robert Hooks, Billy Dee Williams, and Moses Gunn.
A redneck officer (Stephen Boyd) is put in charge of a squad of all black troops charged with the mission of securing an important hydro dam in Nazi Germany. Their failure would delay the Allied advance into Germany, thus prolonging the war. These African-Americans had been relegated to cleaning latrines and therefore have little real military training, but Captain Beau Carter has no choice. He leads the rag-tag unit to secure the dam and the men reveal themselves as heroic.
- Stephen Boyd as Capt. Beau Carter
- Robert Hooks as Lt. Edward Wallace
- Susan Oliver as Anna Renvic
- Roosevelt Grier as Big Jim
- Moses Gunn as Pvt. Doc Hayes
- Richard Pryor as Pvt. Jonathan Crunk
- Glynn Turman as Pvt. George Brightman
- Billy Dee Williams as Pvt. Lewis
- Paul Stewart as Gen. Clark
- Black Brigade at the Internet Movie Database
- Carter's Army at AllMovie
- Carter's Army is available for free download at the Internet Archive