8 December 1897|
11 August 1982
German Empire (to 1918)
Weimar Republic (to 1933)
|Years of service||
Infanterie-Division Theodor Körner
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves|
|Other work||Police Officer|
Bruno Frankewitz (8 December 1897 – 11 August 1982) was a highly decorated Generalleutnant in the Wehrmacht during World War II who commanded the 215. Infanterie-Division. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross and its higher grade Oak Leaves was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Bruno Frankewitz was captured by American troops in May 1945 and was held until 1947.
Awards and decorations
- Iron Cross (1914)
Wound Badge (1914)
- in Black
- in Silver
- Hanseatic Cross of Hamburg
- Knight's Cross of the Royal House Order of Hohenzollern with Swords
- Honour Cross of the World War 1914/1918
- Sudetenland Medal with Prague Castle Bar
- Clasp to the Iron Cross (1939)
- Eastern Front Medal
- General Assault Badge
- German Cross in Gold (1 April 1942)
- Order of the Cross of Liberty 2nd Class with Swords (29 March 1943)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- Mentioned twice in the Wehrmachtbericht (6 February 1944 and 29 December 1944)
- Armband Courland
- Thomas 1997, p. 177.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 155.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 82.
- Patzwall, Klaus D.; Scherzer, Veit (2001). Das Deutsche Kreuz 1941 – 1945 Geschichte und Inhaber Band II [The German Cross 1941 – 1945 History and Recipients Volume 2] (in German). Norderstedt, Germany: Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag.
- Thomas, Franz (1997). Die Eichenlaubträger 1939–1945 Band 1: A–K [The Oak Leaves Bearers 1939–1945 Volume 1: A–K] (in German). Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio-Verlag.
- World War 2 Awards.com
- Lexikon der Wehrmacht
- Ritterkreuztraeger 1939-1945
General der Infanterie Baptist Knieß
Commander of 215. Infanterie-Division
12 November 1942 – 6 April 1945
Formed from the remnants of 215. Infanterie-Division
Commander of Infanterie-Division Theodor Körner
6 April 1945 – 8 May 1945