Border Field State Park
|Border Field State Park|
The Mexico–United States border at Border Field State Park
|Location||San Diego County, California, United States|
|Nearest city||Imperial Beach, California|
|Area||1,316 acres (533 ha)|
|Visitors||45,633 (in FY 2011/2012)|
|Governing body||California Department of Parks and Recreation|
Border Field State Park is a state park of California, United States, containing beach and coastal habitat on the Mexico–United States border. The park is located within the city limits of Imperial Beach in San Diego County, adjacent to the suburb of Playas de Tijuana in Mexico. It is the southwesternmost point of the contiguous United States and is also the southernmost point in the state of California. Immediately adjacent is the monument marking the Initial Point of Boundary Between U.S. and Mexico.
- History 1
- Habitat 2
- Visitors 3
- See also 4
- References 5
- External links 6
The Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo was concluded on February 2, 1848, officially ending the war between the United States and Mexico. It provided that the new international border between the two countries be established by a joint United States and Mexican Boundary Survey. The commission began its survey at Border Field.
The Tijuana River National Estuarine Research Reserve contains much of Border Field State Park and is an important wildlife habitat. The salt and freshwater marshes give refuge to migrating waterfowl and resident wading birds, such as black-necked stilt, American avocet, green-winged teal, American wigeon and pelicans. The park offers hiking, horse trails, surf fishing and birding.
For fiscal year 2011-2012 45,000 people visited the Border Field State Park.
Small portions of the park often become flooded and are inaccessible to the public. New border fences have also taken small portions of the park away.
To the East:
|California State Beaches||
To the South
- Initial Point of Boundary Between U.S. and Mexico
- Imperial Beach
- List of California state parks
- Playas de Tijuana
- Tijuana River (Río Tijuana)
- Tijuana River National Estuarine Research Reserve
- Tortilla Wall
- "California State Park System Statistical Report 2011/12 Fiscal Year". Statewide Planning Unit Planning Division California State Parks. pp. 28–29. Archived from the original (PDF) on June 18, 2014. Retrieved June 18, 2014.
- "Border Field SP". California State Parks. Retrieved 2011-10-02.
- Border Field State Park
- Paul Freeman (8 September 2012). "Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields: California - Southern San Diego area". California Pilot Associated.