Bibliography of Harry S. Truman
Reference and historiography
- Kirkendall, Richard S. Harry S. Truman Encyclopedia (1990)
- Margolies, Daniel S., ed. (2012). A Companion to Harry S. Truman. Wiley-Blackwell.
- Kirkendall, Richard S. ed. Harry's Farewell: Interpreting and Teaching the Truman Presidency (2004) essays by scholars
- Levantrosser, William F. ed. Harry S. Truman: The Man from Independence (1986). 25 essays by scholars and Truman aides. online edition
- Algeo, Matthew (2009). Harry Truman’s Excellent Adventure: The True Story of a Great American Road Trip. Chicago: Chicago Review Press. about a 1953 vacation trip covered by the media
- Donovan, Robert J. (1996). Conflict and Crisis: The Presidency of Harry Truman, 1945–1948. Columbia, MO: University of Missouri Press.
- Ferrell, Robert H. Harry S. Truman: A Life (1994)
- Graff, Henry F., ed. (1996). The Presidents: A Reference History (2nd ed.). New York: Scribner Book Company. pp. 443–458.
- Hamby, Alonzo L. Man of the People: A Life of Harry S. Truman (1995)
- Jesperson, Christopher. "Drama at Blair House: the attempted assassination of Harry Truman". Journal of Conflict Studies (Fall 1995).
- Appleman, Roy E. (1992). South to the Naktong, North to the Yalu (June–November 1950). Washington, DC: Center of Military History, U.S. Army.
- Divine, Robert A. "The Cold War and the Election of 1948," The Journal of American History, Vol. 59, No. 1 (Jun. 1972), pp. 90–110 in JSTOR
- Gaddis, John Lewis. "Reconsiderations: Was the Truman Doctrine a Real Turning Point?" Foreign Affairs 1974 52(2): 386–402. ISSN 0015-7120
- Holloway, David (1994). Stalin and the Bomb: The Soviet Union and Atomic Energy 1939–1956. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press.
- Hasegawa, Tsuyoshi. Racing the Enemy: Stalin, Truman, and the Surrender of Japan (2009)
- Ivie, Robert L. "Fire, Flood, and Red Fever: Motivating Metaphors of Global Emergency in the Truman Doctrine Speech." Presidential Studies Quarterly 1999 29(3): 570–591. ISSN 0360-4918
- Kepley, David R. (1988). The Collapse of the Middle Way: Senate Republicans and the Bipartisan Foreign Policy, 1948–1952. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press.
- Lacey, Michael J. ed. The Truman Presidency (1989)
- Matray, James. "Truman's Plan for Victory: National Self Determination and the Thirty-Eighth Parallel Decision in Korea," Journal of American History 66 (September 1979), 314–333. in JSTOR
- Matray, James I. Northeast Asia and the Legacy of Harry S. Truman: Japan, China, and the Two Koreas (2012)
- Merrill, Dennis. "The Truman Doctrine: Containing Communism and Modernity" Presidential Studies Quarterly 2006 36(1): 27–37. ISSN 0360-4918
- Offner, Arnold A. "'Another Such Victory': President Truman, American Foreign Policy, and the Cold War." Diplomatic History 1999 23(2): 127–155. ISSN 0145-2096
- Pelz, Stephen. "When the Kitchen Gets Hot, Pass the Buck: Truman and Korea in 1950," Reviews in American History 6 (December 1978), 548–555. Online at Project MUSE
- Pierpaoli Jr., Paul G. Truman and Korea: The Political Culture of the Early Cold War. University of Missouri Press, 1999 online edition
- Sandler, Stanley (1995). The Korean War: An Encyclopedia. New York: Taylor & Francis.
- Smith, Geoffrey S. "'Harry, We Hardly Know You': Revisionism, Politics and Diplomacy, 1945–1954," American Political Science Review 70 (June 1976), 560–582. Online at JSTOR
- Spalding, Elizabeth Edwards (2006). The First Cold Warrior: Harry Truman, Containment, and the Remaking of Liberal Internationalism. Lexington, KY: The University Press of Kentucky.
- Wainstock, Dennis D. Truman, MacArthur, and the Korean War (1999) online edition
- Walker, J. Samuel. Prompt and Utter Destruction: Truman and the Use of Atomic Bombs against Japan (1997) online edition
- Walker, J. Samuel. "Recent Literature on Truman's Atomic Bomb Decision: A Search for Middle Ground" Diplomatic History April 2005 – Vol. 29 Issue 2 Pp 311–334
- Judis, John B.: Genesis: Truman, American Jews, and the Origins of the Arab/Israeli Conflict. Farrar, Straus & Giroux, 2014. ISBN 978-0-374-16109-5
Politics and domestic issues
- Berman, William C. The politics of civil rights in the Truman administration (1970) online
- Bernstein, Barton J., ed. (1970). Politics and Policies of the Truman Administration (2nd ed.). Franklin Watts.
- Bernstein, Barton J., ed. (1969). "America In War and Peace: The Test of Liberalism". Towards A New Past: Dissenting Essays in American History. New York: Vintage Books. pp. 289–291. reprinted in Hamby 1974, pp. 52–68.
- Bolles, Blair (1952), How to Get Rich in Washington: Rich Man's Division of the Welfare State, New York: Norton.
- Boyer, Paul (1994). By the Bomb's Early Light: American Thought and Culture at the Dawn of the Atomic Age. Chapel Hill, NC: University of North Carolina Press.
- Brooks, Karl Boyd, ed. The Environmental Legacy of Harry S. Truman, (Kirksville: Truman State University Press, 2009. xxxvi, 145 pp. ISBN 978-1-931112-93-2
- Dean, Virgil W. "Why not the Brannan plan?." Agricultural History (1996): 268-282. in JSTOR, on agriculture
- Fried, Richard M. (1990). Nightmare in Red: The McCarthy Era in Perspective. Oxford University Press.
- Gardner, Michael R. Harry Truman and Civil Rights: Moral Courage and Political Risks. Southern Illinois University Press, 2002. xx + 276 pp. ISBN 0-8093-2425-3. online review online edition
- Hartmann, Susan M. Truman and the 80th Congress (1971)
- Heller, Francis H. Economics and the Truman Administration (1981)
- Koenig, Louis W. The Truman Administration: Its Principles and Practice (1956)
- Lacey, Michael J. ed. The Truman Presidency (1989)
- Lee, R. Alton; Truman and Taft-Hartley: A Question of Mandate. University of Kentucky Press, 1966 online edition
- Marcus, Maeva Truman and the Steel Seizure Case: The Limits of Presidential Power (1994)
- Matusow, Allen J. Farm policies and politics in the Truman years (Harvard University Press, 1967).
- Parmet, Herbert S. The Democrats: The Years After FDR (Oxford University Press, 1976)
- Pietrusza, David (2011), 1948: Harry Truman's Improbable Victory and the Year that Changed America, New York: Union Square Press.
- Ryan, Halford R. Harry S. Truman: Presidential Rhetoric (1993) online edition
- Theoharis, Athan. The Truman Presidency: The Origins of the Imperial Presidency and the National Security State (1979).
- Avner, Yehuda The Prime Ministers: An Intimate Narrative of Israeli Leadership (2010) (Chapter 9, A Walk with Harry Truman) ISBN 978-1-59264-278-6
- Bernstein, Barton J., Ed. The Truman Administration: A Documentary History (1966); 2nd edition published as Politics and Policies of the Truman Administration (1970).
- Clifford, Clark; Holbrooke, Richard (1991). Counsel to the President. New York: Random House.
- Ferrell, Robert H. ed. Dear Bess: The Letters from Harry to Bess Truman, 1910–1959 (1983)
- Ferrell, Robert H. ed. Off the Record: The Private Papers of Harry S. Truman (1980).
- Merrill, Dennis. ed. Documentary History of the Truman Presidency, (1995– ) 35 volumes; available in some large academic libraries.
- Miller, Merle Plain Speaking: An Oral Biography of Harry S. Truman (1974) Putnam Publishing Group. ISBN 0-399-11261-8. London: Gollancz Ltd. (1974) ISBN 0-575-01841-0 (Reprint (2005) by Black Dog & Leventhal Publishers. ISBN 1-57912-437-2)
- Neal, Steve ed. Miracle of '48: Harry Truman's Major Campaign Speeches & Selected Whistle-Stops (2003)
- Truman, Harry S. (1955). Memoirs: Year of Decisions 1. Garden City, NY: Doubleday.
- Truman, Harry S. (1956). Memoirs: Years of Trial and Hope 2. Garden City, NY: Doubleday.
- Truman, Margaret. Harry S. Truman. William Morrow and Co. (1973). memoir by his daughter
- "National Affairs: Anniversary Remembrance". Time. July 2, 1951. Retrieved July 25, 2012. (subscription required)
- """McCarthyism v. "Trumanism. Time. August 27, 1951. Retrieved July 25, 2012. (subscription required)
- "Democrats: The Way West". Time. September 15, 1952. Retrieved September 4, 2012. (subscription required)
- "The White Case Record". Time. November 30, 1953. Retrieved September 1, 2012.
- Fuchs, James R. "Oral History Interview with Edgar G. Hinde". Harry S. Truman Library & Museum. Retrieved July 28, 2012.
- Hess, Jerry N. (November 21, 1972). "Oral History Interviews with Karl R. Bendetsen: General Counsel, Department of the Army, 1949; Assistant Secretary of the Army, 1950–52; Under Secretary of the Army, 1952". Oral Archives. Harry S. Truman Library & Museum. Retrieved July 28, 2012.
- Truman, Harry S. (July 21, 1947). "Harry S. Truman 1947 Diary". Harry S. Truman Library & Museum. Retrieved July 27, 2012.
- "Full text of original copy of the order at the Truman library". Harry S. Truman Library & Museum. July 26, 1948. Retrieved July 28, 2012.
- "Telegram, Joseph McCarthy to Harry S. Truman, February 11, 1950, with Truman's draft reply; McCarthy, Joseph; General File; PSF; Truman Papers". Harry S. Truman Library & Museum. February 11, 1950. Retrieved July 23, 2012.
- Dana, Rebecca; Carlson, Peter (July 11, 2003). "Harry Truman's Forgotten Diary". The Washington Post. Retrieved July 22, 2012.
- Donaldson, Gary A. (1995). "Truman". State of New Jersey. Retrieved September 3, 2012.
- Kennan, George (1947). "The Sources of Soviet Conduct". Lectures on 20th Century Europe. History Guide. Retrieved September 1, 2012.
- Truman, Harry S. "Executive Order 9835 – Prescribing Procedures for the Administration of an Employees Loyalty Program in the Executive Branch of the Government". The American Presidency Project. University of California at Santa Barbara. Retrieved September 3, 2012.
- Truman, Harry S. "Word Has Just Been Received: Truman Speaks on the Railroad Strike: 1948–1952". History Matters.
Audio and video sources
- 29 Audio/Video Clips of Harry Truman
- Audio clips of Truman's speeches
Truman on US postage stamps
- "Harry S. Truman Issue". Smithsonian Institution. May 8, 1973. Retrieved July 22, 2012.
- "20-cent Truman". Smithsonian Institution. January 26, 1984. Retrieved July 22, 2012.
- "Ameripex '86 Issue". Smithsonian Institution. May 22, 1986. Retrieved July 22, 2012.
- "1995 World War II Issue". Smithsonian Institution. September 2, 1995. Retrieved July 22, 2012.
- "1940s Celebrate The Century Issues". Smithsonian Institution. February 18, 1999. Retrieved July 22, 2012.
- Annotated bibliography for Harry S. Truman from the Alsos Digital Library for Nuclear Issues
- , July 19, 1992.Truman interview with David McCullough on Booknotes
- , June 4, 2000.The Last Campaign: How Harry Truman Won the 1948 Election interview with Zachary Karabell on Booknotes
- , February 10, 2002.Harry and Ike: The Partnership That Remade the Postwar World interview with Steve Neal on Booknotes