The club was founded when two African-American politicians moved the Duval Giants of Jacksonville, Florida, to Atlantic City in 1916 and renamed them after Harry Bacharach, the city's mayor. The Bacharachs became a top independent team within a few years, featuring shortstop Dick Lundy, third baseman Oliver Marcelle, and the great pitchers Dick Redding and Jesse "Nip" Winters.
In 1920 the club joined the midwest-based Negro National League (NNL) as an associate member. Though the Bacharachs played NNL teams extensively, touring the midwest each year from 1920 to 1922, they did not compete for the league championship. In 1922, the club splintered into two factions; one took most of the roster and moved to New York City under the management of John Henry Lloyd, while the other remained in Atlantic City.
In 1923, the two clubs were reunited in Atlantic City, and the Bacharach Giants became a founding member of the Eastern Colored League (ECL). The team hovered around .500 until 1926, when the shortstop Dick Lundy took over as playing manager, and brought home two consecutive pennants, helped by Marcelle, center fielder Chaney White, and pitchers Arthur "Rats" Henderson, Claude Grier, and Luther Farrell. The Bacharachs lost the Negro League World Series to the Chicago American Giants both years, though Grier and Farrell both tossed no-hitters for the Atlantic City team, the only no-hitters in Negro League World Series history. When the ECL failed early in 1928, the Bacharachs continued to play as an independent team.
Decline and demise
Despite the Bacharachs' success, attendance was not high enough to sustain their high-priced roster. In one of the most famous trades in Negro league history, they sent Lundy and Marcelle to the Baltimore Black Sox in return for veteran first baseman and manager Ben Taylor, catcher Mack Eggleston, and cash. Lundy and Marcelle sparked the Black Sox to the 1929