Andreas Kuffner (Luftwaffe)
30 May 1918
30 April 1945
|Years of service||1937–45|
|Commands held||I.(Pz)/SG 9|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves|
Andreas Kuffner (30 May 1918 – 30 April 1945) was a highly decorated Hauptmann in the Luftwaffe during World War II, and one of only 882 recipients of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross and its higher grade Oak Leaves was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. During his career he flew 900+ missions and is credited with the destruction of 60+ tanks.[Note 1] Andreas Kuffner was killed on 30 April 1945 when the Focke-Wulf Fw 190 he was flying was bounced and shot down by a Royal Air Force Spitfire XIV from 350 Squadron as he was attempting to land near Schwerin. During the same attack, Knight's Cross recipients Rainer Nossek and Wilhelm Bromen were killed and wounded respectively.
- Awards and decorations 1
- Notes 2
- References 3
- External links 4
Awards and decorations
- Aviator badge
- Front Flying Clasp of the Luftwaffe in Gold with Pennant "900"
- Ehrenpokal der Luftwaffe (25 May 1942)
Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (22 June 1940)
- 1st Class (19 March 1942)
Wound Badge (1939)
- in Black
- German Cross in Gold (September 1942)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- For a list of Luftwaffe ground attack aces see List of German World War II Ground Attack aces
- According to Scherzer as pilot in the I./Sturzkampfgeschwader 2 "Immelmann".
- Thomas 1997, p. 425.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 278.
- Scherzer 2007, p. 482.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 78.
- Brütting, Georg (1995). Das waren die deutschen Stuka-Asse 1939 – 1945 [These were the German Stuka Aces 1939 – 1945] (in German). Stuttgart, Germany: Motorbuch.
- Obermaier, Ernst (1976). Die Ritterkreuzträger der Luftwaffe 1939–1945 Band II Stuka- und Schlachtflieger [The Knight's Cross Bearers of the Luftwaffe 1941 – 1945 Volume II Dive Bomber and Attack Aircraft] (in German). Mainz, Germany: Verlag Dieter Hoffmann.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag.
- Thomas, Franz (1997). Die Eichenlaubträger 1939–1945 Band 1: A–K [The Oak Leaves Bearers 1939–1945 Volume 1: A–K] (in German). Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio-Verlag.
- World War 2 Awards.com
- Luftwaffe 1939-1945 History
- Lexikon der Wehrmacht