American church in paris
The American Church in Paris is the first American church established outside the United States. It traces its roots back to 1814, and the present church building - located at 65 Quai d'Orsay in the 7th arrondissement of Paris, France - dates to 1931.
In 1814, American Protestants started worshiping together in homes around Paris and at the Oratoire du Louvre temple. The first American sanctuary was built in 1857, on rue de Berri. The American Church in Paris was then, as now, an interdenominational fellowship, for all those adhering to the historic Christian tradition as expressed in the Apostles' Creed. It served both the expatriate American community, and a wide variety of other English-speaking people from different countries and denominational backgrounds.
The American Church continues to minister to many Anglophone Protestants in Paris, with multicultural programming, and a congregation coming from some 40 nations and 35 Christian denominations.
The church is led in worship by the senior pastor, associate pastor, youth pastor and a retired guest pastor who handles weddings. Its staff is also diverse in terms of background and denomination. It is run by a church council represented by a committee of ministries namely: Communications, Community Life, Christian Education, Development and Property, Finance and Stewardship, Human Resources, Membership and Evangelism, Mission Outreach, and Worship and Music. The building hosts two bilingual nursery schools, a variety of Twelve-step program recovery groups, fitness classes, kung fu, basketball leagues, a free concert series, and an ad board for housing and job opportunities. Many more community-based services are housed in the church building.
- Friendly Adventures, by Joseph Wilson Cochran, published 1931
- Official website
- a Documentary Film on the American Church in ParisA Glimpse of Heaven
|Other views of the church|