15 June 1918|
18 November 1990
Nazi Germany (to 1945)
|Years of service||
Hauptmann der Reserve (Wehrmacht)
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves|
Alfred Montag (15 June 1918 – 18 November 1990) was a highly decorated Hauptmann der Reserve in the Wehrmacht during World War II who was one of only 882 recipients who were awarded the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross and its higher grade Oak Leaves was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership.
- Awards and decorations 1
- Notes 2
- References 3
- External links 4
Awards and decorations
Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (30 July 1941)
- 1st Class (11 February 1942)
Wound Badge (1939)
- in Black (?)
- in Silver (15 June 1943)
- in Gold (15 August 1943)
General Assault Badge
- in Silver (20 January 1942)
- with Numeral "50" (20 May 1944)
- Eastern Front Medal (8 August 1942)
- Honour Roll Clasp of the Army (19 January 1944)
- German Cross in Gold (3 August 1943)
Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- Knight's Cross on 21 April 1944 as Hauptmann der Reserve and chief of the 2./Sturmgeschütz-Brigade 909
- 873rd Oak Leaves on 9 May 1945 as Hauptmann der Reserve and leader of Sturmgeschütz-Brigade 341[Notes 1]
- The nomination was received by the Heerespersonalamt (HPA—Army Staff Office) from the troop on 28 April 1945 and approved by the Corps and by the OB West. Missing is a statement by the Army and by the Army Group (Heeresruppe). Major Joachim Domaschk decided "Oak Leaves yes" but deferred. Heeresgruppe B—the Sturmgeschütz-Brigade had already surrendered together with the Heeresgruppe B in the Ruhr Pocket. The nomination was therefore left unfinished according to AHA 44 Ziff. 572. The nomination list of the higher grade of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves confirms the entry of 28 March 1945. Noted here is a comment indicating "deferred". A formal presentation has not happened. The sequential number "868" was assigned by the Association of Knight's Cross Recipients (AKCR). The presentation date was assigned by Fellgiebel. Alfred Montag was a member of the AKCR.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 257.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 85.
- Scherzer 2007, pp. 159–160.
- Kurowski, Franz. (2004). Panzer Aces II:Battle Stories of German Tank Commanders of WWII. Mechanicsburg PA, USA.StackPole Books. ISBN0-8117-3175-8.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag.
- World War 2 Awards.com
- Lexikon der Wehrmacht
Hauptmann Reinhold Ertel
Commander of Sturmgeschütz-Brigade 341
27 January 1945 – 8 May 1945