15 December 1910|
26 March 1945
|Years of service||1934–45|
|Unit||22nd Füsilier Regiment|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves|
Alfred Matern (15 December 1910 – 26 March 1945 ) was an Oberfeldwebel in the Wehrmacht during World War II, and one of only 882 recipients of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross and its higher grade Oak Leaves was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership.
Awards and decorations
Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (21 August 1941)
- 1st Class (19 September 1941)
- Infantry Assault Badge
- Eastern Front Medal
Close Combat Clasp
- in Bronze
- German Cross in Gold (14 March 1942)
Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- Knight's Cross on 4 September 1943 as Oberfeldwebel platoon leader 5. / Füsilier-Regiment 22 
- 784th Oak Leaves on 16 March 1945 as Oberfeldwebel platoon leader 5. / Füsilier-Regiment 22 
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 249.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 82.
- Patzwall, Klaus D.; Scherzer, Veit (2001). Das Deutsche Kreuz 1941 – 1945 Geschichte und Inhaber Band II [The German Cross 1941 – 1945 History and Recipients Volume 2] (in German). Norderstedt, Germany: Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag.
- World War 2 Awards.com
- Lexikon der Wehrmacht